Sunday, July 30, 2006

Wild Thistle

This comment from Karen (regarding the globe thistle I posted)

Hm, they are pretty in your garden, but I don't think I'd convince myself to plant thistle in mine. Too reminiscent of the ones I pull out of the ground as weeds.


reminded me that I wanted to post a picture of the wild thistle I have growing just inside my small arbor leading to the woodland area.



If you click on it to make it bigger, you can see all those needle-like prickers all over it. I certainly don't want to bump into this thing by mistake!

I just think it looks so interesting that I could not bring myself to dig it out. I think it will be lovely in bloom. I'll dig it out before it sets seed.

It is quite similar to the globe thistle, isn't it?

Melissa mentioned that her globe thistle was smaller this year than last. Mine is also. In the past it has been 4 to 5 feet tall. This year, maybe 3 feet.

Most of my plants are a lot shorter this year.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes, wouldn't want to sit on that anyway! lol I remember when I was growing up, we had some of that growing in our backyard and dad was forever pulling them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if that's a Canada Thistle or not, but there are some silly people who make a point of complaining to me about the Canada Thistle because I am Canadian. (By the way, the Canada Thistle is not a Canadian plant. It was introduced from Europe and it's just as noxious here as in the northern U.S.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the thistle flowers are beautiful and I really feel sorry for plants that people are always trying to kill. If we don't let it seed then it can't spread right? What about putting a ziplock bag over the bloom after it dies and collecting the seeds and destroying them?

    I know the thistle is a nuisance because of how thickly it will spread. I have seen acres covered in the beautiful thistle flowers, but you couldn't walk through it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...