Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Smell of Apples is Oozing Through My House






I wanted to use up those apples I bought at the Apple Farm last weekend.

In my files I found this apple muffin recipe and decided to try it.

The apples were shredded. I had long sheds like this:
The crumb topping had no flour in it, so it was not very crumby. (It was not like the apple crisp topping we are all accustomed to.)
Mine looked like this:
I decided to spray the tops of my muffin tins. I thought that topping might melt onto the pan.


And it did. Just a little.

The muffins removed easily from the paper liners. They were very light and moist and did not fall apart like so many muffins do. I enjoyed the sweet nutty topping. It's a recipe I would make again, so I will share it in case someone else has apples to use up.



Topping:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Just mix it all together with a fork and set aside.

Batter (Dry Ingredients)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda

(Wet Ingredients)
1 egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup buttermilk ( I used whole milk with a tsp. of lemon juice. Let the milk sit about 5 minutes to thicken)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 apples, grated (a bit less than one cup of apple)


Line the muffin tins with paper. Preheat oven to 350.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in one bowl.
Mix all the wet ingredients together in another large bowl.
Dump the dry ingredients into the bowl of wet ingredients. Mix very gently just until moistened. I used a spatula and made only about a dozen light stirs. (this is the secret to tender muffins--no heavy mixing!)
Drop the batter into the lined tins, filling about 3/4 full. I easily got 12 muffins.

Drop bits of topping over each muffin.

Bake 20 minutes, or until a tester(I used a metal skewer, but a toothpick will work, too) comes out clean.


11 comments:

  1. These look so good! If I had one now, I could eat it with my coffee. I have apples to use up, too. thanks for the recipe.

    Guess, I will go eat plain ole cereal!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those sound good! If only I owned a muffin tin and some of those paper liners, I'd be off to bake some up right now. Someday, maybe. Thanks for the tip about stirring lightly. I'd never know a thing like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHH those look so good. I too have apples I need to use so I'll be making a batch of these this afternoon. Thanks for the recipe.

    Your SAJ still looks great. Looks like you all have some beautiful autumn colors, we have rain here almost everyday so its not been that great.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum-o! The perfect recipe for autumn must have apples in it. I have an apple cake to die for I'll have to locate and add to my blog.

    I have the same stainless steel bowls and love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, don't you love the smell of apples baking! I'll have to try these..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone,
    If any of you make them, please let us know how they turned out.

    Dianne, aren't those bowls the best? I have about six of them. I think I have 3 of the big ones (my most used). I discovered them late in my homemaking life (like about 10 yrs. ago). Now I couldn't cook without them. They are big and best of all, very lightweight. That apple cake sounds good. Please do post it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look yummy. Copied the recipe to try soon..I can smell them now. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rats, I checked your blog a little too late. Had a few leftover apples and decided to make homemade applesauce today. Everyone enjoyed it but I would have loved those muffins. Must keep it mind for next time. You are one busy lady. TWT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again. Forgot to ask, what kind of apples do you like to bake with? Can't remember what you picked up at the farm. TWT

    ReplyDelete
  10. TWT, applesauce sounds good. I also made apple crisp (one of my all time fav desserts). It was a bit too sweet, but still good.

    I bought Runkel apples at the farm. I had never heard of them before.
    They were nothing to rave about.

    My favorite apple to eat raw is a green granny smith. I am not as pickly when I cook them. Just about anything works. Rome apples work pretty good for apple crisp. I even use Macintosh, which aren't favored for baking.
    The only apples I don't really like are Delicious.
    Which do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm, it changes all the time. I'm actually amazed at all the different varities and tastes. But currently for just eating I love royal gala and macintosh. Use to love red delicious but kinda tired of them now. I love to toss granny smith into salads, in particular love it with tuna and mayo mixed with a little curry powder (sounds gross but yummy)on a bed of mixed greens. Also love to make apple streudel with the granny smiths. I saw a few new varities at the grocery store yesterday. You've got me thinking Zoey, I think I will buy one new variety each week. Expand my apple experience, lol. TWT

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...