Monday, January 30, 2006

I Chose This One




Since I got home from work, I have sewn it together, sandwiched it (for the nonquilters: put the backing and batting and top together)and began tying it.

I have not tied a quilt since the very first one I made 28 years ago. I don't like tied quilts, but was not willing to spend the effort to hand quilt something that will be at the mercy of the outdoor elements. Forget machine quilting - I've tried and I just make a huge mess.

So tying it is -- and I sort of enjoyed it tonight. I probably did a quarter of it so far.

I think I am going to bind it in ORANGE. That probably shocks many of you.

There is a method to my madness.

All of the colors I am using in the quilt are the same colors the flowers will be. Lots of bright orange flowers, red, yellow and purple. The yellow poka dot fabric has some orange dots in it. I did not have any orange fabric in my stash, but I found two packages of orange binding that I have had for YEARS. I mean, really, WHAT else would I ever use it for??? LOL

Does anyone reading this tie their quilts? If so, what do you tie them with?
I used embroidery floss since I had that on hand. I think I used yarn in my first one.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh I like the quilt. And I don't blame you for tying it, when it will be at the mercy of the weather there is no point spending hours quilting it.

    A tip for next time you want to machine quilt. Less the pressure foot tension - Mine has settings from 1 to 3, I set it on two, it helps to prevent the top fabric bunching up so much. Also if you can get a walking foot to go on your machine - it is a big plus. The fabric feeds through so much more evenly. I loant my sister mine and she tried it for the first time on a new quilt and it worked brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Calidore. I will have to try it. It would be so much faster (even tying takes quite a bit of time).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...