Monday, May 30, 2005

I only had to work 5 hours today. My boss sent me home early, so I used the extra hours to work in the gardens. I have a lot of grass to remove which is a big chore in an established perennial bed. Grass will ruin a garden in one season if it is not kept under control. It is, by far, the biggest chore I have in maintaining my beds. I am relentless in removing it. If a plant is invaded by grass, I will remove the entire plant and toss it. At this point, I have been gardening for years and I have dozens of almost all my plants. If a few must be sacrificed for the good of the whole, I bid them farewell in the knowledge that they have met an honorable death.

Nothing makes me cringe like seeing a blade of grass with seedheads blowing in the breeze. I know if I let those seeds ripen and fall, I will have hundreds more next year. If I don't have time to remove it from the roots, I will at least cut off the seedhead. On my daily stroll thru the yard, I carry scissors for little tasks like that.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean, Zoey. Grass is terrible. And of course, it is always wanting to expand into your perennial beds where the soil is nice and rich ...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...