Saturday, May 21, 2005

Cutting Back Sedum Autumn Joy

In reading garden forums, I noticed many people have a problem with their Sedum Autumn Joy flopping over. Last year I experimented with cutting it back early in the season just to see what would happen. I took scissors and selectively just cut out areas in the center. I did not touch the very top. What resulted was a plant with blooms going all the way down instead of just large heads at the top. It definitely makes a more compact plant. The blooms get smaller toward the bottom. If you want to try this, you need to do it early in the season (like now).

The arrows in the pictures point to the part that was cut back and show the season's progression.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great tip! I'll have to add this to my week's to-do list. I noticed mine were a bit floppy last year (last year was my first year gardening - I bought a house with huge perennial garden borders).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome, Steph. How lucky you got all those flowers with your home purchase. I hope you are having fun figuring it all out!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...