Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Mid week Check-In

I was just reading our local newspaper and found out February was a record snowfall -- 52.6 inches--over 4 feet of snow. I knew we had gotten a lot of snow, but did not realize it was a record year.

I just hope it does not snow this weekend. DH and I are planning a weekend out of town and I hope we don't have to cancel it because of bad weather. We love to get away for the weekend, but don't do it very often in the winter.


I am loving Carol Doak's book, 300 Paper-Pieced Quilt Blocks.

I can see myself making at least 150 of the 300 patterns in the book (mostly for borders).
But what I like best about the book, is the handy dandy CD that comes with it. You can make the block whatever size you need and print it off on your computer.



It just doesn’t get much easier than that.

So last night I decided to start making blocks for a border for my Log Cabin. I have decided to make a series of borders to finish this simple design.
So I measured one of my log cabin squares.
It was eleven inches.
I divided by 2 and came up with a 5.5 inch block.
When I sew them together, I will have exactly 11 inches…....
So simple, sheer ecstasy…......

Hmmmm...........So what happened?
Why is it 1/2-inch off?

Ah, it says finished size is 5.5 inches; finished is the operative word here.
My 11-inch block is not finished. When I take the 1/4" seam on each side, it will only be 10.5 inches.

ARRRGGGGGGG.....I will start over again tonight.

4 comments:

  1. You wanting to make at least 150 of the 300 borders is the same as when I read a garden catalogue - I want to buy every plant that's listed. No wonder my garden is such a hotch-potch.

    I love seeing your patchwork creations - even those that don't turn out quite right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now we know why you are such a good quilter-you are stuck in so much during all those snowstorms!
    We are getting late winter weather with maybe ice in the morning and snow next week.
    Your new book and stitching look awesome. I've always wanted to a quilted American flag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoey..I don't know if you've seen this site or not..but it reminded me of you as you do paper piecing and a lot more quilts then I do. LOL here is a great site I just found. ENJOY!!!!
    http://www.quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore.html

    Taracotta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey where are you Zoey? You must be busy quilting or going through gardening books-well I hope so! Let us know.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...