Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I Found Tropicana Black

and used them in the 4 planters I do at work.

I planted these last week. It was too early as a couple of the plants have already suffered from the cold. I knew I should not plant King Coleus, cannas or sweet potato vine yet, but I did it anyway. I mentioned to the boss that if it should get in the low 30's at night, he may want to have someone cover them. Then I left for the weekend.

Of course, nobody covered them. (I really knew nobody would. Since it wasn't my money, I was not all that worried about it. I did warn him.)


Luckily the damage was not severe. If we do not get another really cold night, it will recover.


The cannas suffered just a bit.


The three planters I did at home were fine over the weekend since my tender plants (cannas, ipomoea) were tubers under the soil. I am waiting to plant the majority of my containers until next week. I will be off all week, so I can devote lots of time to designing containers.

I couldn't believe it this morning when I saw these tulips already dying off. It seems like they just opened! I think they look so neat when the inside shows like these two.


Ah, but look what's coming right behind them....big orange poppy buds!


I thought this little primrose grouping was kind of pretty this morning. The plant with the large leather-like rosettes of leaves with the pink bloom in the back is bergenia. It never really gets big and beautiful for me. In fact, I don't even know why so many people rave about it. I find it blah on its own, but I like it planted with the primroses.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't realize it was quite so cold at night there. Your tulip "faces"
    are really cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to cover my faerie garden at night for the last 3 nights because of frost...tonight it's supposed to dip right down again. Sigh. I'm glad I haven't planted any of my container plants yet! I just love your primoses, such a happy colour combination:-) Ugh to the goutweed...I don't know how I ended up with some in my front flowerbed last year but I spent all last summer pulling it out...now I see it's coming back again so I'm trying to stay ahead of it! Happy Belated Anniversary!! That meal you two had looked soooo good!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's too bad about the cold damage already. Hasn't it been such strange, unpredictable weather this spring?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like the covers must go back on again, Zoey - and your Canna Tropicana Black is a beauty - definitely worth the trouble of protecting it.

    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. That new Canna is a beauty, can't wait to see it bloom. I struck up a conversation with a gardener in my town, and he gave me 12 canna rhizomes he did not have room for. I may be asking you about the varieties once they seem identifiable. These are my very first cannas.
    I know we're both in Zone 5, but it must get much colder in your region. Last night was our first risk for frost since May 1st, and I hauled in all my containers, as well as covered all the annuals and edibles in the ground. Worth every second,though. I think this will be the last risky night. I hope. I am enjoying your blog very much. The primrose is beautiful, and the containers you've done are fabulous. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...