Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Is this Butt-Ugly?


That's what the big Kahuna (I affectionately call my boss this) said today. "I'm sorry," he said. "But I still think those planters are butt ugly."

I said I thought they were quite nice and, in fact, I thought they really worked well with the other landscaping (the colors are perfect). I told him I do know that some people just find cannas ugly (it's the cannas he objects to). In fact I used to be one of those people. But I have come to love them.

When I left work this afternoon a lady had just come into the office to visit the big Kahuna. My office is right next to his. When she came in I was just leaving and she introduced herself and asked me what I did there, etc. Then she said to the big Kahuna, "Did Jenny (the big K's wife) do those beautiful planters outside? I know what a talented gardener she is."

The big K looked at me, I looked at him and we both started laughing. I told the lady about the butt ugly comment earlier in the day.

Did I feel good? You Betcha! I am still smiling! It never hurts for the big K to eat a little crow.


The reason I took my camera to work today was to get a pic of the sweet potato vine in these planters. Just look how they have grown! I planted a lot of the very same vines at home (I bought them from the same place) and mine are nowhere near this size. Just a few days ago I posted a pic of one of my hanging baskets with the same vines in it. I wonder why they are growing so much better at work?

6 comments:

  1. Zoey: That container is GREAT! What did he want, red salvia and yellow marigolds? Glad you got some validation and I have to say that sweet potato vine, Marguerite in particular, rarely disappoints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you just love it when something like that happens? lol That'll teach him for saying the planters were butt ugly! hehe I think they look fabulous. Want to borrow my chipmunk to plant sunflowers for you??? lol You should see the sunflowers I have growing all over in the veggie garden and in my flowerbeds. Some are as tall as me and I'm 5'3"...I'll be taking pictures of them soon since they're just starting to open up now. Congrats on your awards...very much deserved:-) xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's the reflected heat from the wall? I agree cannas are an acquired taste, and apparently one your boss never cultivated. Good work, Zoey, make 'em eat crow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? No way is that ugly. I've seen ugly plants and these are way cool! The sweet potato vines, particularly the green ones are growing like wild fire this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great contrast between the vine and the cannas. I think it is attractive, and it will stay that way a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you love when that happens? I think the container looks really nice - that sweet potato vine is fabulous - way better than mine!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...