Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Digital Woes

Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike having to change cameras? It takes so much time and effort to investigate the current options to make an educated purchase. Then I have to spend a ton of time figuring how to use the new camera.

I have owned two digital cameras.

My first one was a Sony Mavica. It was a big huge thing that used floppy disks and I LOVED that camera. I paid over $600 for that one and I just assumed it would last a long time. Three years later it was dead. I replaced it with a Kodak DX6490. It was in the $350 range. It lasted two years and one month.

Don’t you think these expensive cameras should last a bit longer? I do take a lot of pictures—I use it almost every day and many days I take over 100 pics. The guy at Staples told me that the more you use it, the faster it wears out. That does seem to be the case with me.

I did call Kodak this afternoon because the Staples guy suggested it. They were no help. After twenty minutes, a man with an accent I could barely understand said I would have to send it off to a Kodak camera center.

The minimum charges?

$150 + $13.99 S/H and sales tax.

I told him not to waste time looking up the mailing address. I guess these cameras should be considered disposable. If anything goes wrong after the warranty expires, just toss them.

So now I have to go buy another camera.

Any suggestions?

Here is the entrance to my deck in May and on July 12.

All of my petunias were supposed to be that purple color you see here. Instead all the hanging baskets turned out to be this pink.

Which proves once again that one should never buy flowers that are not in bloom!

7 comments:

  1. I have a very basic Kodak EasyShare.
    Since this was my first digital camera, I didn't want anything too complex. We've been thinking of updating, but if they're right, I have about 6 months to decide, since mine is 18 months old..
    I'll also be interested to read what people suggest.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have two cameras and you know I take lots of photos. I would think the part that wears out would be the button part.The Canon Powershot was purchased in late 2003 and that was fine and still works. The counter was up to 6K something. The newer camera is also a Canon but a Rebel Xti. I didn't like the idea of having to look through a viewfinder again, but since that's what most of we are use to from film cameras, I got use to it again, and you do have a display on the back too. We got it back in December and got a $100 rebate from Ritz camera. I think I've charged the battery maybe three times and I know I've take over 2K photos with it.
    Bri did a lot of research-like 4 yrs or so, and if you want to go cheaper than $800, he could recommend some.
    Sorry about the hassle with Kodak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zoey, sorry about your camera. A quick question unrelated to today's post-have you in the past moved or divided perennials while in bloom? If so, how did it work out? Thanks in advance.

    London, Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  4. A woman in my photography class had one of the slim Nikon Coolpix cameras (similar to the S50). That looked like a really neat camera, and she was always getting great photos with it. If I were in the market for a new point-and-shoot, that's definitely one I'd look into (www.nikoncoolpix.com).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear Zoey:-) I'm back from my trip and playing catch up with everyone! Oh dear, so sorry to hear your camera went kapooey...as you say, at that price they should last a bit longer! I bought myself a Canon PowerShot A530 and I just love it...you've seen the pictures on my blog, they're all taken with that camera. It's not an expensive camera but it's great for what I use it for:-) xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, camera woes. I hear ya. I just bought a Canon SD1000 7.1 mega pixels on sale at Amazon for $212. If your cameras only last a few years, maybe it's time for a cheaper point and shoot? My old Canon SD110 was bought in April 2005 and still works great. It just had too small of a screen for me. But it's lasted through an entire summer of humid Vietnam weather, which wears out many electronics.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chopsticks, Is that the camera you use for your videos? I will have to check that one out for sure. The price sounds better than my others.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...