Saturday, December 17, 2005

Baking Christmas Cookies


I am in a cookie exchange with 3 friends from work. We are each making 8 dozen cookies (4 dz of 2 different cookies). We will take our goodies to work on Thursday and exchange 1 dozen of each cookie with each person. We will end up with one dozen of eight different cookies.

Boy, that sounds complicated, doesn't it? LOL.

This is the first time I have been in a cookie exchange and let me tell you, I didn't think it would be this much work!

I definitely picked the wrong cookie to make (Almond Raspberry Sandwich cookies--they have almond paste in the cookie & seedless raspberry jam in the middle). It took me 4 hours just to make the cookies. I have not actually sandwiched them together yet (just the one in the picture so I could try them). They are pretty good although a bit crunchier than I expected. I will put them all together Wednesday evening so that they will look nice when I take them to work.

Since these cookies require two cookies to make one cookie, I had to make 8 dozen instead of 4. That was a lot of rolling and cutting out.

I did learn something valuable during the experience, though. . . All silicone baking liners are NOT created equal. Recently I was in Wally's World and bought a set of two because they seemed so reasonably priced. Well, you get what you pay for. I opened the oven and was shocked to see this

which caused my cookies to turn up in odd ways. NOT GOOD.

Here is a Silpat (a wonderful liner!). See how flat it stayed?


Moral of the story? DON'T waste a dime of your hard-earned cash on Walmart's silicone liners.

Now I am working on Coconut macaroons drizzled with chocolate.
Oh, so much easier than the first ones.

I have the last batch in the oven and then I will melt the chocolate and drizzle them.

In between baking the two kinds of cookies, I had to run to Walmart to buy coconut. While there I spotted these Danskin pullover tops marked down to $5. Well, who could resist a bargain like that? Not me! I bought three of them in different colors.

12 comments:

  1. You always make me smile Zoey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope in a good way, Sandy :)
    By the way, did you have any more articles published? I would love to have you send me a copy if you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pardon me for being out of the loop. What articles has Sandy published?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Four hours on cookies, you make me smile too. ; )
    I love to make cookies, but I don't want to be in the kitchen forever. I stay away from the ones that you have to roll out. I stick to drop, ball and bar cookies. You can't go wrong with Russian Tea Cakes and 7 layer cookies. Sean is asking for the 7 layer-one pan-and you cut them small as they are rich.
    I like your finished cookie-it's a masterpiece!
    BTW, got a cute lime green fleece jacket for $9.99 and a green pullover v-neck stretchy top for $6.50 at Kmart tonight! ; ) I like your top (the color is smashing!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've finished my Christmas baking - I think. But I love the Star Shaped ones. Very nice.

    Never seen the silcone mat that you used though. I just spray my trays with cooking spray - I guess it works just the same. Either way there are biscuits and cakes to eat at the end of all that hard work. Just wish they would last a little longer...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, haven't even made any Christmas goodies yet. They would be 'broken into' by my resident teen.
    Love your cute bags of Chex and Moose munchies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not fair - you look gorgeous in your new top, and I'm putting on weight just looking at your cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No more articles on the home front. The editor says she will phone me in the new year as she has been very busy and understaffed. I'm not holding my breath but if anything thing happens I'll let you know. P.S. You always make me smile in a good way:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uhoh.....I bought one of those red silicone thingies just the other day! DOH!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GGG, hopefully you still have your receipt and can take it back! If not they do have other good uses...if you make choc. covered anything you can put the little choc coated balls on it and they won't stick when they harden. You can also roll out your dough on them and you don't need any added flour...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kathy, Sorry, I did not mean to ignore you. Our friend, Sandy, wrote a little article for a gardening magazine in Canada. We are among a published author! I think she may have mentioned it someplace in her blog comments. She is too modest to talk about it...she did a fine job,too.
    Sandy, I hope it is OK that I mentioned this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zoey, you look beautiful! Love your hair!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...