Monday, July 14, 2008

I Love it When a Plan comes to Fruition

I was planning last fall to revamp that area where we just put the new path in.
Here is what that area looked like last September:

I was killing off this area in preparation for this year's rejuvenation.
Here it is July 14, 2008:

I'd say it looks much better!

You wouldn't believe how many daylily roots I had to dig out in just the tiny center area where I planted the hostas. . . a whole wheelbarrow load. It was amazing. Every shovel full turned up more daylily roots. I am sure I missed some, but I gave it my best shot. I can only dig down about eight inches in this area before I hit rock.

That is why I have such a difficult time growing anything in these gardens. Most areas on this side are solid rock below 6 - 8 inches. Growing flowers here is nearly impossible, so in the beginning if anything grew, I would plant a ton of it. Now I am paying the price trying to get rid of the invasive stuff I planted way back then.

Gardening is always a challenge. I guess that is why I find it so much fun. How boring if I just planted this area once and never had to revamp it!

3 comments:

  1. I'd say it looks much better! Wow, I love it!! As you say, gardening is a lot of work but so much fun at the same time. I wish I could turn my whole back yard into flower gardens! lol I guess I'll make do with what I have for now:-) What a shame you have deer eating some of your plants...that's something I don't have coming around here. There are deer in the woods but they never come to the yards...of course most of us have fences so that helps.

    I'm glad you got to see my lilies I posted this morning...I only use Miracle Gro every second week. I don't do anything else and yet they're growing like crazy. I was surprised at the amount of buds on each plant! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm a quilting gardener too! (Although I'm very new to gardening, so I use the term "gardener" loosely)...we bought our first home last spring and moved from town into a more rural area with lots more room to grow! :) I've been experimenting this year...I'll have to post some pictures tomorrow on my blog. :)

    Love your blog-your garden is amazing! I'm so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The after is beautiful . Our landscape is very similar in regards to the types of trees and soil. Reading your blog has inspired me to begain a new flower bed under my pine and oak trees.

    So far I have added 5 hostas, Lantana, Impatience and seeds. I acn't wait to see it all matured next spring.

    Thanks for sharing and inspiring the ordinary gardener to do extrodinary things.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...