Monday, January 8, 2007

See This Gaudy Tropical Fabric?


I bet nobody but me would see on owl in this fabric!

That's such a big part of the pleasure of making these blocks. I love to find a use for ugly fabric. By using just a small portion of it, it ends up looking nothing like its appearance as a whole.




So far I still like the first block I did the best (the cardinal).

I also did this robin over the weekend.


He was quite the headache! I put the wrong 1/8 of inch piece of fabric on his back and did not realize it until I was done. So I just colored it in with a permanent marker. Those tiny little feet are about the size of a sliver of a fingernail. I did a lot or ripping out on this one. The only thing I actually like about this one is the fabric I chose for the head. The little nest turned out pretty good, too. It was the one feature that I did not think I would like at all.

7 comments:

  1. You are doing such a great job. Do you know what you are going to do with them when you are done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zoey, you really have an eye for color and design. Great job. Yes the cardinal so far is my favorite too. The hummingbird is a close second.:)
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks good! I am much better at sewing than picking the right fabric for a project. Are this birds done with strips?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie, I haven't the vaguest idea! Isn't that crazy? All this work and I have no plans on what to do with them all! LOL.

    I feel the same, Pat. Each new one I do, I seem to like less. I just finished a turkey and don't like him at all.


    Sandy, they are paper-pieced. Have you ever heard of that? You sew on the back on the paper. Everything is sewn in reverse. It's complicated to explain. I just taught myself how last spring, so I am no expert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am that way with cooking. It seems I can only try a new recipe once. If I make it a second time, I never like it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have an eye for this, Zoey. That tropical fabric really translated into an owl! I continue to be impressed by all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I can't believe that owl was made with that fabric! lol It looks beautiful and what a wonderful job you did with the other birds too! I wouldn't know where to start making blocks like that...you are so talented my friend!!!! xox

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...