Thursday, January 31, 2008

Windchills have been below zero and I am Thinking of Gardening!

I got a Breck's email today for the usual $25 off a purchase of $50 or more. Usually I just delete them, but today I was in the mood and I ordered these:

Rembrandt Dahlia Mixture
I thought these would make nice bouquets. . .something different for me to try.
A breakthrough in dahlia cultivation! Unusual, colourful striped and dotted blooms appear week after week from summer through fall and are fabulous when combined with large perennials and annuals. Sturdy stems stand artistically at the back of the border and bouquets

Flame Flower
I've never seen this one before. I am not sure where I will plant it. At $12.99 for one bulb, it's pretty pricey so I would like to put it someplace where I can take good care of it. The colors fit in beautifully with my deck plantings so maybe I will let it grow up the deck lattice. My lattice is not the sunniest spot though, so I will have to think about this. I only bought one bulb so I doubt that I will get much impact this season. Does anybody grow it? What can you tell me about it?

Set trellises, fences and walls ablaze with colour! Old-fashioned climber grows 6-10' tall-striking as a living screen or ground cover. Vigorous plants are covered with 1 1/2" cup-shaped blooms of bold red and yellow from summer to frost. Prefers full sun. Lift in fall. Tropaeolum tuberosum #1 size bulbs.
Height: 6-10'
Of course, I had to get a couple more cannas. I hope I don't already own these! (I always forget the ones I have.)
Black Knight Canna

Wyoming


It's time now for a big bowl of hot turkey noodle soup from Sunday's turkey leftovers.

Can you see the newspaper headline? They weren't kidding about the cold temps returning!

I think I will go work on my hand quilting so I can stay toasty warm under the big blanket.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing brightens a long winter day better than seed and plant shopping, ha. And quilting sounds nice, too...though I haven't done it for soooo long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get those catalogs and just drool on them this time of year. So pretty.

    I have a question for you. I am trying to find a perinnial climbing plant that flowers and either has big leaves or lots of greenery. I want to hide my garbage cans outside but so far I have only been able to find annual climbing vines. I live in zone 4 if that helps. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am soooo glad that I live in Houston...Your turkey soup looks delicious....PS: I'm a thread collector too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made turkey borsht a few days ago and it just fits the bill for these cold days!
    Love all the flower pics...spring must be around one of these corners when Zoey starts posting flowers!!
    Very cheery...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoey,

    I think there is another storm coming but not sure...Good luck...Be safe and warm..Toni

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...