Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Begonia & Lysimachia Planter

While looking for some annuals to plant in my milk cans, I came across this begonia and green lysimachia planter.

It was marked down to $4 (half its original price) and looked like the perfect size to fit inside the milk cans.

I succumbed to the allure of not having to do any work and bought four.
Just like I expected, the pot fit nicely in the milk can. I put this one upside down so the lysimachia would grow from the top on down and across the milk can.
To complete the vignette, I added a grapevine wreath with mini pots of hens & chicks and a Dutch shoe filled with a tiny hosta plant. I will wrap the lysimachia around the wreath as it grows.

I think once the begonia grows a bit wider, it will look nice.

Directly across from the milk can, I removed some asters from the entrance to this path and planted more hosta in its place.

Today I took a little walk through all the paths and was surprised to see that something was already nibbling on the hosta leaves!

How discouraging!
Here is a shot showing where the milkcan with the wreath is in relation to the new hostas:
I am not sure if you can see it--the milk can is way to the back right in front of the tree.


Here is another view of the front side of this area:
The blue milk can also has one of the new begonia pots in it.
The pot is way too small right now, but it should grow to a respectable size soon. I plan to remove the blue milk can later in the season. Once the cannas get big, I will switch to a big pot of those.

I also picked up three herb pots - two different types of parsley and some basil.

I just love to have fresh herbs outside my door. It makes cooking so much more fun and creative.

4 comments:

  1. Creative as usual Zoey! Do you ever take time to sit at the table in the garden?
    I love growing fresh herbs..I find mine do better in the garden than in pots. I know it is handier at the back door..maybe I shall try it again.
    I love buying a ready made planter and then transferring the flowers to another place..the milk can works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty,
    Yes,I sit there quite often with a glass of wine in late afternoon, or if it's the weekend, I sometimes have a cup of coffee during a mid-morning break. It's a nice shady spot in the heat of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the annuals you picked for the pots-begonias are always a favorite of mine too. Everything looks so nice and neat. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...