Friday, December 19, 2008

Cherry Chocolate Cookies


We are in the midst of another big snow storm and I am loving every minute of it!

Why?

Because I am home today and I love to be snowed in while baking Christmas cookies.

I do not know what propelled me to buy that HUGE jar of maraschino cherries. I guess I thought I needed more than I did.

While shopping last weekend, I saw these new Hershey kisses with cherry cordial filling. I immediately thought of using them for a cherry cookie topper.


The snow was falling, the trees were twinkling, and Kenny Rogers softly crooned Christmas carols as I started baking my first batch of cookies at 6:00 a.m.


This is the first time I made these and after the first batch, I needed to taste them to see if I wanted to do a second.

It was only 7:00 a.m. and I am not really ready to eat a cookie at 7 a.m., but I did... and, oh my, that filling was just like the inside of a chocolate-covered cherry.


YUM!


I did a little tweaking of a recipe and ended up with this:








Cherry Chocolate Cookies


1 c powdered sugar

1 c butter, softened

3 tsp. maraschino cherry liquid

1 tsp. strawberry extract (if you don't have it, just use vanilla)

2 1/2 cups flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries

about 27 cherry filled chocolate kisses (or more if you make smaller cookies than I did)



Combine powdered sugar, butter, cherry juice & strawberry extract .

Mix well.




Add flour & salt.

Slowly stir in until well combined.

Stir in cherries.

Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour if you have time. I did not do this.

Shape into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350 for 10 -12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.


Let cool one minute before removing from baking pan.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am SO making these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like them, Catherine. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look yummy! I haven't seen that Hershey kiss yet and here I am in Hershey kiss country! I like that you get the cookie, chocolate and filling-all in one cookie!
    I made a few kinds, on my blog, but am not happy unless I make about 5-6 different kinds. Sean plows through cookies like a bulldozer. He can't find the tins right now-lol-they are under my big corner cabinet.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Zoey these cookies look so very yummy!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...