Thursday, May 26, 2011

Grape Hyacinth Bouquet

I have decided to take a few days to spend some quality family time with  my Mom & Dad and Aunt & Uncle.  Mr. Z will stay home to man the fort.  I hope he does not forget to water my seeds which I put in an area where the rain won't hit them.  I won't be available to check my email for three or four days....how will I survive??? 

I have set up a few days of posts, so you won't even notice that I am gone.  I apologize for not being able to comment on your blogs, but for the past two days Blogger has not been cooperating.  On to today's post...which was really done a couple days ago.

I came across an old Carnival glass candy jar while cleaning the storage cupboards.  I immediately thought that grape hyacinths would look nice in it.  Grape hyacinths are not easy to use in a floral arrangement because the stems would have to be wired to make them stand.  I remembered reading of a way to make them stand tall without wiring.

I went out and dug up a big clump--bulbs and all.  You need the bulbs for weight.  Hose off most of the soil, then wrap a rubber band around the bottom section.
 Then just plop it down in your container.  The weight of the bulbs keep them standing tall.
 I stuck in  a bit of that purple kale in the background, added some water, then covered the bulbs with this fiber.
 I thought some light purple creeping phlox would look nice so I went and cut a few handfuls and tucked them in.
Don't those colors play nicely against the Carnival glass?

I have enjoyed the arrangement for two days and today I am going to remove the grape hyacinths and replant them! They have not been harmed and will rebloom just as lovely next spring.

Remember that Lamb's Ear I planted last May:

 Here they are one year later completely filled in.
Now I bet they become a pest to keep in their boundary line. :)

The new color I painted the potting bench is:
Rapture Blue to be exact.


6 comments:

  1. you are so clever Zoey...love that idea...also love lambs ear...I need to get me some more...have fun on your trip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, do have fun on your trip!
    I think Carnival glass is really pretty and your arrangement is perfect.
    I don't think Lamb's ear is really too invasive and easy to thin out. It looks nice where you planted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely spring bouquet...and such amazing progress with the Lamb's Ear...wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to you to make such a gorgeous bouquet in that beautiful carnival glass dish!! I'm really loving the colours. I bought some Hyacinths a couple of weeks ago that were already in bloom and after I planted them, the bloom died but the rest of the plant looks healthy. It's the first time I plant those so hopefully they'll do well next year. I love the way your Lamb's Ear have filled out!!

    Have a great time with your family and enjoy time away from the computer:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed your trip with family!
    I had, I think that same carnival bowl, got it and a few other pieces for wedding gifts. Notice I said "had", sold it years ago at a rummage sale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That arrangement is beautiful! I like seeing photos of flower beds at different times for comparison. Your lamb's ears look very lush and happy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...