Friday, March 21, 2008

Designing Table Runners

I have really been enjoying designing table runners to match some of the dishes I own.

I decided to make a runner to coordinate with these green plaid plates that I bought two years ago at the Farmer's Market garage sale day.

I took a 4.5 inch block and changed it until it looked similar to the dish pattern. Before starting to sew I put a bunch of the pieces together to see what design I would end up with. I wasn't sure it would work. It's pretty hard to tell what it will look like without the colored fabric.

I decided I'd make a few blocks just to see what I had.

I was very pleasantly surprised.


I think this may be my favorite so far.

I still need to decide whether to make a triangle piece for each end. I really don't like my runners to just end in a straight line, but this one may be an exception because it's so much wider than I normally like. I felt like I needed the extra width to get a good pattern design.

I wanted to take a vacation day today, but the Big Kahuna thought I should be at work. That's what happens when you wait until the last minute to request a vacation day. I guess he didn't feel like going in early to cover for me.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! What fun. Sorry you didn't get to take the day off. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome to have such a matching set. You should be working for a design firm! ; )
    Darn the Big Kahuna.;p
    We may get a little wet snow in the am. My forsythia are droopy right now.
    I am not cooking all of the Easter dinner, only some sides and cupcakes.
    I do feel better. Took some herbal stuff (fennel, chamomile, marshmallow root) and didn't take Pepcid or anything and I believe just one pill helped. I took another today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the plaid plates and of course the runner to match!
    Will you get another day off to make up for working this one? I hope so.
    By the way peppernut buns(a spicey sweet bun) seem to be a Mennonite tradition.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...