Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I Found Some Paperwhites!

After reading Eileen's blog post about paperwhites, I remembered that I had wanted to buy some this year.  Since I rarely shop in brick & mortar buildings, I did not have the chance to see any to remind me that I wanted to buy them.

Today I ran to Home Depot to see if they had any left. Lucky for me, they did--in a big bin just as I entered the store. I grabbed a bag and went right to the register.  "$2.49 cents," she said. 

Holy smokes, I thought they were $4.99 a package.  I did not even know they were 50% off.  So I did what any sane woman would do--I ran back and grabbed another package. 

So for five bucks I got 12 paperwhite bulbs.  As soon as I got home, I planted them in this  glass footed bowl filled with clear glass and green glass vase thingies--are they called marbles??
 I do hope the fact that they have already sprouted is not a bad sign in regards to their odds of producing gobs of lovely white blooms.

I saved one bulb to drop in this glass vase hugged by a holiday snowman.

How darn cute will this be with the tall green leaves topped with a cluster of white flowers?  It would be perfect if they decided to bloom for Christmas.

Oh, dear, I just went to Eileen's blog to do the link and I noticed that she was not going to water hers until 3 weeks before Chistmas as they bloom quickly.  I already watered mine.  I guess I will have flowers before Christmas.   I trust Eileen. She knows so much about flowers!

9 comments:

  1. Are these one year blooms or will you hopefully have them again next year to blooms?
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cher,
    I think they will be one year blooms. I may try to plant them outside in one of my whiskey barrels to see if they will come back next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to see them bloom...what an awesome buy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry Zoey, you can wait until they are just ready to pop open and put them in a cool place that will not freeze, even the refrigerator.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will enjoy these anytime of year. I love the bargains you find Zoey..I would done the same, run back for another package!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good they are green and they will surely straighten out. I saw in the wonderful Holiday Cookbook issue of Southern Living magazine where they had a bunch tied in the middle with wide gold ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deb, Me, too.

    Eileen, that is another great tip!

    Betty, I am thinking of going back today to get a few more.

    Dianne, I also will have to tie something around them. I am thinking of a white ribbon to keep the white theme. I may try to find a vase with higher sides so I won't have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good score on the paperwhites. Mine are blooming in the garden, posted it just this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How pretty they will be Zoey. I love to see Paperwhites and wish I could grow them but the fragrance makes me and my son both sick. I will just have to look at my fellow bloggers blooms. Wishing you and yours a Blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...