Friday, July 1, 2011

Echinacea 'Hot Papaya'

While walking through the 1/2 price aisles of hanging baskets at H*ome D*epot, I spotted a  shelf  full of tall orange/red color. Closer inspection revealed the blaze of color to be  a new echinacea called 'Hot Papaya' --don't you love that name?

There was no mark down on this stunning coneflower, but I had to have it anyway. I tossed my frugal flower buying habit to the wayside and picked out the nicest specimen to plant in one of my whiskey barrels on the deck.

'Hot Papaya' is a dramatic double-flowered orange/red color


with a skirt of flouncy petals and a purple-tinged center.


Another interesting attribute is that the flower emerges in a totally different color.
It's a golden light orange color that deepens as it ages. (Please forgive this terrible photo. Sun conditions were not ideal and this particular bloom is fading because I broke the stem on the way home)

As you can tell, I am excited about this addition to my deck garden. Does anybody grow this?

I also bought six hanging baskets of gerbera daisies mixed with this stuff. Anybody know what this is?
It is soft and fuzzy and reminds me of the licorice plant. I really hate when they don't have tags telling you the name of the plants.

Update:  Thanks to Sissy for leaving a comment that this is Plectranthus 'Silver Shield'.  I really appreciate you letting me know, Sissy.

7 comments:

  1. I can hear the whirl of hummingbird wings!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. Love Echinacea and so do the Butterflies. You should have them visiting.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm going to have to head out to HD and check this out....or maybe I should stay away since the temptation will be too much!? I do love the echinaceas and this one is a stunner.

    I don't know what that fuzzy leaved plant is, that's really different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow,

    I love that echinacea, have not seen it yet. For some reason I didn't do too well with the Sunrise and Sunset, they're gone. I really would like some of the hot colors rather than just pink and white.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you bought it because you liked it-so worth the price of having it to enjoy on your deck. I went to the fancy and pricey place with Sean today and they were having a sale-too bad the prices weren't that good along. I bought a few more things.
    Gee, that silvery plant looks like Licorice plant, but I don't know what it is. I had gotten a different plant at the Asian flower place and saw it today and told Sean to remember it, and neither of us did and I still can't find it online.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hot Papaya..love it!! Never heard of it..sure is beautiful.
    Sometimes a girl just has to splurge:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zoey, I think your foliage accent is Plectracanthus 'Silver Shield'. It is a trailing silver accent plant. I know you will find a fabulous use for it in a container or some creative thing!!
    The 'Hot Papaya' is not reliable here. It did not come back for me for 2 years so I gave up on it.
    I hope you have better luck! Can't wait to see what you do with the plectracanthus!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...