Saturday, July 2, 2011

Well, That was Way Easier than I Expected

Really. Not bad at all.
 I was outside at 6:30 a.m. Wouldn't you know it was the hottest, muggiest morning of the year -- already 75 degrees with 80% humidity at 6:30 a.m. I removed a big swath of purple fall asters that I have been wanting to get rid of for a few years. Too bad I had just cut them all back  so they would bloom at different heights a few days ago!


I was hot and red-faced, but happy with my progress, when DH came out about 7:15 a.m.
 He took over the digging of this big clump of well-established daylilies that would have been blooming in two or three days. In less than 30 minutes the remainder of the heavy digging was done.

For those of you who believe plants have feelings, too, you will be happy to know that we transplanted most of the lilies-in-bud to this garden way back in the wooded area.

These are all common orange daylilies and I was just going to throw them away  until DH suggested putting the daylilies here. What a great idea!  Nothing else will grow back there. My man is beginning to take an interest in the garden--I am thrilled! Maybe it will be his retirement hobby.

Did you notice that beautiful burgundy/green steaked coleus?  I don't know what it is, but I do love it. I underplanted it with purple calibrachoa. The calibrachoa is not doing that well. Do any of you have problems with calibrachoa?  They  never seem to grow big and full for me. 

Back to the strolling path.........by 10 a.m. it was over 80 degrees and still high humidity--unbearable for Michiganians who are used to a high of 70 degrees.  So we decided to wait until late afternoon to finish the path.

While we were waiting for the temperature to go down, DH went out to buy 400 lbs. of top soil as the topsoil pile we have is full of weeds (and I already turned it into a garden area).
We needed the top soil to fill in around the pavers. I decided my initial start point would not work. I wanted more of a curve, so we dug out a few more plants to the left.
I am now very happy with the curved path. We watered down the pavers and will let them settle overnight. Tomorrow  we will fiddle with them until they are perfectly level. After that I will fill in the areas that need plants.   As you can see I don't need very many plants.

I am quite pleased with our efforts. The whole project was much easier than we expected and I don't think I have  ruined the garden bloom at all.  I can now walk along the path and deadhead daylilies that I could not reach before.  I am doing the happy dance tonight!

12 comments:

  1. A lot of hard work but the path looks just wonderful and I really like the angle of the curve as well. Why is it, though, that we always decide to do such work when it's so hot out? lol Very humid here as well today and although we had some rain very early this morning, it's since cleared right up. Supposed to be even hotter tomorrow so the air conditioner will be working overtime:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zoey,

    OMG! I can't believe you got this all done in one day. The pavers look wonderful and now you have a beautiful path to stroll and admire all those gorgeous plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really you are doing the happy dance? I bet you are too darn tired to manually do that!
    I love your coleus, I bought 4 starter plants, thata between too much rain and a squirrel, didn't survive.
    Sleep good tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks fab! I'm glad you got your path in with not as much effort as you thought.
    Sounds like the summers we east coasters get-jam-packed with humidity. Blah. It was a bit humid today, but not as bad as they said it would be. I did the weed whacking a few days ago when it wasn't humid, just a bit breezy.
    About the Calibrachoa-I don't think they like to share the pot with anything too big or be in too big of a pot. I have some with lobelia that is doing well. I will be trimming back the Calibrachoa and the petunias so they don't get too leggy. I have lost a calibrachoa this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zoey you are amazing. I worked in 2 stores this weather today and it was the worst one of the year. As a matter of fact, I got your email as I was going from one 90* store with 98% humidity to another. GAWD! Miserable and miserabler! No breeze made it worse, but look at you guys! I did not think adding a path would seem that easy.
    Calibrachoa are like wine. You get what you pay for. I definitely would purchase the Proven Winners brand and keep it trimmed so it can get bushy.
    You should be so proud of your wonderful path. It looks so serene, leading to your arbor...

    ReplyDelete
  6. love to watch your garden evolve! Those daylilies are brutes to dig out! You were not alone with the heat and red face yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zoey, It turned out so Gorgeous! And you did all that work on such a hot day. Yesterday was brutal here, too, we were working on building the wall in the formal garden and just gave up at 3pm. Too blasted hot and humid.

    Love the way the path meanders through the garden, it is going to be so nice to reach places you couldn't before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it very much Zoey. I am glad you added a curve to it it makes the bed look larger. The new stepping stone. You did pick a hot day to do it but I am glad you had some muscle to help you. That is a pretty coleus you have there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The new path looks great! Your blog is one of my favorites - you're alway making changes and you always show pics of from beginning to end. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pea, We just installed our window AC unit and have been using it for the past three nights.

    Donna, I am glad to have it finished!

    Thanks, Betty.

    OSB, I didn't get up until 6:30 a.m. today--that is like 2 hrs later than normal!

    Dianne, Thanks for the Calibrachoa tip. I didn't know thay like to live alone.

    Hi Sissy, I think this one was a PW. I was skeptical when I removed it from the container because there was not a good root system--a taller container filled with fluffy soil. Next time I will have tug a see if they come right out.

    Jody, I hear you--hate digging out daylilies! Then I have to go through the soil and pick out every little root/tuber..BIG PAIN!

    Karen, I can't imagine doing all the stone work you do--even if it's not a hot day. :)

    Lona, I like cuves the best, too.

    Tracy, What a sweet comment! I have to admit that I do make a lot of changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Zoey, You have certainly been working hard on your vacation! I love the path and the Hot Papya coneflower. There was a soft yellow one like it I was looking for last year but wouldn't spend the money. I've been regretting it ever since! Loved the fireworks and the visit to the Grand! Can't wait to see your porch!I really need to visit more often. Jean

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...