Thursday, June 16, 2005

Creeping Bellflower

Isn't she beautiful? Delicate little bells swaying in the wind.

That is what I thought when my MIL offerred me a few plants. Within three years, those few plants turned into hundreds and I spent most of last season attempting to eradicate this obnoxious weed from my rock wall garden where it was running rampant.
I began by digging out the roots (see below), but soon realized that it would take the remainder of my life to get them all. I finally had to resort to using RoundUp, which was quite effective. There are still a few popping up this year, but I hit them with RoundUp as I find them. I still have this pest in my other gardens, where it has intertwined itself among many other plants and * will have to decide whether to risk losing most of the other plants by spraying the RoundUp or letting it go another year.

All I can say is DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER PLANT CREEPING BELLFLOWER!!!! IT WILL HAUNT YOU FOR LIFE!

5 comments:

  1. Do you think they'd be nice in a bed of their own?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done what Kasmira has suggested with ribbon grass, which was taking over my garden. It is now in a separate bed with a rock wall all around it. Now I can enjoy it...I had begun to hate it before containing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rock wall and "containment" makes me think of wild animals at the zoo. Funny to imagine those zoo cages filled with thug plants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I ever get rid of this, I will never let it within 2 miles of my gardens!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like my neighbours Virgianai Creeper the more I cut it off my side of the fence the faster it grow. And it is infested with aphids which I am trying to keep off my roses.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...