A few days ago I decided I needed some more gingerbread men and begin cutting fabric, sewing and stuffing. I wasn't having all that much fun -- too time consuming and my stitching lines were not all that straight so the men were turning out with some quirky figures. "There must be a better way," I said to myself. Wouldn't it be so much easier to just bake cookies and paint them? Hmmmmm...off to the net I went in search of a recipe for dough ornies. I found a salt dough recipe and gave that a try. It didn't take very long to whip them up and put them in the 175 degree oven the directions indicated.
The recipe said to bake for 2 hours. They were no where near done in two hours. I baked another 2 hours and finally had to remove them so I could go to bed. The next day they still did not feel hard enough so I put them back in the oven for another 4 hours--yes, I had to bake them a total of 8 hours!
The next day I painted them brown before I left for work (5:00 a.m. and I am painting cookies!). When I got home they were ready for the "frosting" (Scribbles paint). Today I put the little bow ties and buttons on them and here they are completely finished.
The little pinwheel ornaments in front of them have just received a coat of Modge Podge to stiffen them up. I found them all in a box of Christmas crafts. I must have made them a couple of years ago and forgotten them. Maybe I never used them because the fabric was too flimsy to stand up on the tree. I will see what happens when the Modge Podge dries. I may find a tree for them this year.
My Weekend Goal was to Make a Bench Pillow - I am happy to report that I accomplished that goal!
2 years ago