Thursday, March 17, 2011

Shamrock Smoothie

Banana, kiwi, grapes......this Shamrock Smoothie from Midwest Living magazine sounds like a delicious healthy indulgence for St. Patrick's Day. I have those clear glass cups so I could make them look just like this. I won't be making them today, but I think they might be nice for a summer afternoon on the deck, so I am saving the recipe.

Except for a teeny tiny bite of corned beef at work, I did (and will do) nothing to celebrate today.  I had visions of making the famous red cake only using green food coloring (I even thawed out the left over Buttermilk I saved last month), but that never happened. I still think it would have been a great idea for a St. Patrick's Day dessert.  Maybe I will make it this weekend since I have to do something with the Buttermilk.

What about you? Did you do anything festive today?

On my way home from work, I stopped at the library to pick up another book. P.A. Smith's, Colors for the Garden.  I opened the book to glorious hot garden colors.....he is even using my favorite Tropicannas.
Oh, big black Elephant Ears in a hot color scheme....he's talking my kind of gardening! 
I was getting short of breath from the excitement of having nearly 200 pages of wonderful reading!

Then I got to page 98....what? The remainder of the book looked like this on every page from 98 - 185.
I really do not like to see pages of plant lists like this.  Show me the gorgeous pictures, then list the plants underneath.  I won't even bother reading any more of this one. Darn! I was so excited to think I finally found a really good gardening book.

7 comments:

  1. This is going to be your year Zoey, lots of tropicals!

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eileen,
    I have noticed that the rest of the world is finally embracing my cannas. Now I will have to find something else because I will probably get sick of seeing them in every magazine, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its far cheaper to print lists of plants than pics of actual plants, I guess. That happened to me with several books. Those lists aren't even easy to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoey, I have the same feeling when I see plants listed with no photos. It's very dry reading when they do it that way. I have tried (and failed) to grow Tropicanna twice--I don't know why they refuse to overwinter for me in the basement, but I guess I don't have a green thumb. Not even on St. Patrick's Day. :')

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that book had a lot of promise. I love photos too-the names just all blend together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this smoothie recipe sounds even better than McDonald's Shamrock Shake! lol I've copied the recipe so will have to give it a try, probably this summer:-)

    Don't you hate books that look so promising and then end up not being what you thought. Good thing you didn't have to pay for it, only borrowed it from the library! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had a lot of green going on this post..I love it! Nope I don't go for those types of gardening books either. I need photos!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...