Thursday, August 23, 2007

Happily Cleaning Caterpillar Poop

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd be cleaning up caterpillar poop!

Yesterday I went out to check the parsley caterpillars and there were only two left. I did not want to risk losing them, so I took Nickie's advice and put them in a jar and brought them inside (thanks, Nickie, for giving me the idea).
I put a bunch of parsley in the jar and a wooden dowel for them to attach to.

Last night I noticed a dark colored circular bit of something in the bottom of the jar. I wondered what that could be. This morning I noticed quite a few more little dark things (hard to see, but in the back right corner) and I decided they must be little caterpillar waste pellets. Sure does seem like they would be green, though. ;)

As soon as I got home from work, I checked the jar. They were still alive! So I cleaned out the jar (just gently shook the little pellets into the garbage can), then rinsed it out and put in some fresh parsley. Hey, I was once a cleaning girl at a hotel so I know how to keep my guests happy.

We'll see what happens from here.

5:30 p.m. LOOK! LOOK!
He's spinning his little silky thing that the cocoon will hang from!

I am so excited!

I don't think I ever did this as a kid. I was too busy ironing my long hair and lying on the couch with egg whites on my face and cucumber slices on my eyes. LOL. Those were the days.

2 comments:

  1. This is totally fun! I don't think I've ever done that either. Luckily, I can just come here and enjoy yours and won't have to clean up poopers for mine. Keep those pix coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmigosh, it is! This is like a science project in Zoey's kitchen. I'd like it even better if they didn't look so disgusting. Kind of like Jabba the Hut.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...