Sunday, May 24, 2009

Soo Locks, Valley Camp Freighter, 1950's Female Vocalists, the Indians Fight the British and a Skeleton

Whew! I had an active weekend! We headed up north to a dinner/musical tribute to lady singers from the 1950's -- they sang hits from Doris Day, Peggy Lee, Connie Francis and Rosemary Clooney.

The show was great! When have you last heard someone sing How Much is that Doggie in the Window? We really enjoyed this one--even more than last month's Chicago. Unfortunately the pictures of our delicious meal of Chicken Cordon Bleu turned out blurry. I did get one usuable (though still blurry) pic of the strawberry cheesecake for dessert.

Before the show on Saturday night, we drove into the Soo (Sault Ste. Marie, MI) and did tourist things all afternoon. Here I am on the Valley Camp freighter. Well, just my arm is in the picture since I found it necessary to crop the rest of me out (wind is not kind to my hair). . . gotta LOVE that crop tool!

It's now a museum.
DH is looking at a life raft from the legendary sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald.


We went to the Soo Locks after the museum, but there were no boats scheduled to come in for two hours. So DH took a couple of pics of me wrapped around a few trees. LOL.


Then we walked across the street and he bought himself an ice cream cone.

Having just finished a nice spinach salad with chicken for lunch, I was too full for ice cream. While DH sat on a bench eating his, I wandered down to a few tourist shops and found something I couldn't live without.

You will never believe what.



Don't ask why, but I simply wanted one of these skeletons. You can't tell from the picture, but a votive candle fits in the rib cage. I think it will be great for a Halloween centerpiece.

On our way home today, we stopped in Mackinaw City for their annual Fort Michilimackinac Pageant where they recreate the events of an historic battle between the natives and the British government.



So that's a synopsis of my Memorial Day weekend. The only thing that would make it better is if I did not have to get up and go to work tomorrow! My four vacation days went by way too fast!

3 comments:

  1. Don't vacations just do that? Go by WAY too fast, I'd say! Well, this sounds wonderful, though. My vacation was a little shorter- had my son's birthday party and then went to my SIL's birthday party on Saturday. Woohoo! :) Glad your weekend went well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun weekend!
    Stop hiding behind trees. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see you incorporate that skeleton into a tablescape!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...