Thursday, May 4, 2006

My First Tulips of the Season





I succeeded in keeping the deer away from the tulips this year and have been rewarded with the first bloomers.

It looks like about half of the tulips will bloom. I have many of them with one big green leaf and no blooms.

If you have been with me since my beginning blog days, you may remember that the deer ate all of my tulips last year as soon as they emerged from the ground. I was not sure if any of them would bloom this year since there was no foliage for the sun to energize last spring.

They are certainly lacking in size and oomph this year, but I am happy to at least get a few meager blooms.

Still crossing my fingers that we get rain tonight. I did pull out the hose and water the ligularia (just in case).

In my comments someone asked me if we were having hot weather. It is still pretty early for hot weather in northern Michigan. Today it was in the mid 60's. Right now (at 7:30 p.m. it's 58).

We shouldn't plant annuals here until the end of May and even then, we may have to protect them a few times in June. Of course, I never wait that long. I am taking a week off work beginning May 15 and I will plant all of my containers then.

Then I will grumble every time I have to find sheets, etc. to cover them all.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Spring Zoey.

    Just started looking at everyone's blogs again to see whats new for spring in their gardens and what they have been up to. I am waiting with baited breath for your sedums.

    Happy Planting,
    Mrs. Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zoey,
    Just found your blog. Very nice. You must have a climate similar to ours, here in Maine.
    Good luck with your deer, we live at the edge of the woods and have lots of night visitors, too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...