Monday, April 17, 2006

Beware




of Sedum Album ‘Coral Carpet’.










At least I think that's what this is.

It was given to me when I was a new gardener and very thankful for anything that spread quickly to fill up all my empty space.

And let me tell you, it spreads!


The problem is, it roots wherever it touches. The tiniest little piece will root and spread like wildfire. See how it's escaped the edges of this bed and has even planted itself firmly in the ditch? This spreading is just from last fall. I cleaned it all up last summer.

It does have its strong points. I love the way it feels (yes, just run your fingers lightly over it - a very tactile little plant), deer and rabbits don't eat it, I love how it changes from green to red when it's cold or in full sun, and it has lovely little star-shaped flowers when it blooms.

But I can no longer put up with its lack of behavior at the edge of this particular bed. I am digging it all out (I already took it out of the opposite end of this bed). The roots are shallow so it is not difficult to remove -- as long as you get every little piece out. Drop one piece and before long it's all over the place again.

This area is full of hosta which will be up soon. Nothing really grows very well here so I don't know what to plant at the edge. I am thinking of impatiens, but I tried them years ago and they didn't do well either. It's also a very big area and I would need quite a few flats just to go around the edges. The only thing that has ever grown well here is this sedum!

Gardening can be so frustrating sometimes.

9 comments:

  1. I have a flower bed almost under an evergreen and put bulbs, bleeding heart, columbine and any other thing I found around the yard-but it does get some sun. You could surely get a few varieties of hostas or ferns if it's shady. I think you are looking for color though. I guess you could put large pots of impatiens around the perimeter if you want to invest in some containers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could try edging with a dwarf columbine or johnny-jump ups or a mounding anemone. (I'm edging my shade bed with these things.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would look awesome trailing out of one of those containers on your deck though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne, that area has about 70+ hostas in it. They stay alive, but don't really thrive even though I drag the hose out every week and thoroughly soak the area.

    Kasmira, I'm not familiar with mounding anemone. I will have to look that one up.

    I just came inside from digging it all out and I was thinking of just using white impatiens. That area is a place I go during hot, hot days to sit in the shade and I think all white and green might be nice. (Maybe this year the impatiens will actually grow)
    Kate, I have used them in previous years in a few pots. They don't trail down very much, but they are nice for a smaller pot. I will certainly have enough to use this year, as I just dug out 5 full wheelbarrow loads and I still have that much left on the back side. . .plus they are in almost every garden I have. Anybody want a truckload? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find impatiens don't do well unless they have SOME sun. That sedum looks pretty. It's a shame it spreads so readily. How about ferns? They'd look pretty with the hostas. Maybe you could try just some little groups of impatiens here and there on the edges if any of the area gets a bit of sun during the day. That would add some color.
    Nice job with all your posts. I've enjoyed catching up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoey - if you are just wanting a groundcover without height you may like to try LAMIUM. If you're not sure about it there is a photo in my posting entitled 'Sunday Stroll' on 25 Sept. 2005. There are 4 variation that I have seen, each with different markings on the leaves and flowers come in mauve, white or yellow. They are not invasive but spread over the ground and set down roots here and there. They are easy to propogate because you can break the stems into sections and plant each one. (It's sometimes called 'aluminium plant' as the markings have a silvery look about them. Even with flowers it's still only about 5 inches high. It likes a semi-shaded area and watering occasionally, and it doesn't seem to mind if you walk on it sometimes - it recovers easily and just keeps growing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Alice-lamium is a great idea-here's a photo of what I have:
    http://www.greatnorthernnursery.com/piclib2/GNN%20Perennials/Lamium%20Beacon%20Silver_1.JPG

    Yes, I did see you mentioned hostas, but there many gorgeous varieties to add to your mix if you just have the green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mounding anemone I think is japanese anemone - likes shade, throws up lovely fall blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you like Bergenia? The fat shiny leaves would make a nice contrast. I would maybe try a dwarf fern of some sort. Probably too dry though. The impatiens would look good but cost a small fortune. Whatever you decide, it will look good. Your gardens are beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...