Monday, September 7, 2009

It's Labor Day -- What better way to Celebrate than to Work?


O.K. I hear all of you saying that you can think of many more enjoyable ways to spend your Labor Day.

For me, it's just part of working in the hospitality industry. I work every Labor Day. I only had to work 5 hours anyway. Of course I also worked 4.5 hours Sunday.........such is life...the Big Kahuna has no sympathy for people who whine about working.

I did get to enjoy Labor Day. We had our annual party at DH's brother's home yesterday afternoon. It's a tame party...lots of good food, good company and conversation, and a few alcoholic drinks...I did not have any, but they always have beer, wine coolers, etc. Nobody over indulges....maybe that's because our local priest always comes to the party! LOL. I did notice that he had a few beers.

I took a coconut cake which actually turned out pretty good and everyone seemed to like it. I was happy about that since everything I bake lately seems to flop.

Heitagehunter left me this comment:
I just had a oriental poppy bloom, it has just open today. About a month ago I had one bloom but it was not formed correctly this one is small but very pretty.
I have had been growing oriental poppies for 15 years and have never had this before.

First of all, I would like to welcome you, Heritagehunter. Thanks so much for taking a moment to comment. It is interesting to know that I am not alone in my first time Oriental poppy rebloom. It must be some weird weather phenomena. Mine bloomed a couple of days ago and the bloom was smaller than normal. I noticed today that one of the other 3 buds is drying up.

I finally got to use some of that curly grass in a flower bouquet(s) on the table I did yesterday.

I think it makes a great accent.

On my way home from work today, I noticed that pretty blue weed flower was blooming along the roads. As soon as I got home, I changed clothes and headed out to get some.
I added them to my centerpiece. Last year someone told me the name of this wildflower, but I can't remember it at the moment.

I am planning to relax the rest of the day.

We will have a nice dinner of grilled chicken breasts, fresh corn, summer squash and tomatoes from the Farmer's market, and fingerling potatoes.

I hope you are all having a nice Labor Day.

4 comments:

  1. What a nice post Zoey..good food, good times, pretty flowers..oh yeah and working on Labour Day..doesn't the name mean just that?? smile

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were still able to enjoy your Labour Day, even though you had to go to work for a few hours. I'm still giggling at your mention of nobody inbiding too much because the priest is usually there at the party as well! hehe I just love the arrangements you made...that curly grass sure does add to it. Beautiful! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the curly grass in your arrangement!!! And that blue flower (I call it corn flower) was on my mind this morning too - I was thinking that just before it opens fully it is the MOST INTENSE shade, isn't it? I see it every morning when Harley and I go for his first walk of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty,
    Exactly! LOL.

    Pea, I did have a very good day in spite of working.

    Jody,
    I hope my curly grass survives over the winter and gets bigger like yours did. I think I will use it more next year when the curly stalks are longer.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...