Saturday, December 24, 2011

Salted Caramel Shortbread Cookie -- big FLOP!

I was so excited when I saw this recipe on Pinterest. I don't remember exactly who posted it, but it's easy to find if you just google.  Here are my caramel bites:
Don't they look delicious? They taste good, too. BUT about 10 minutes after I took this picture, they looked like this:
Yes, at room temp for just a short time, they MELT!  I made a double batch thinking they would be great for my Sweet Treats table.  That was before I went back to read the reviews and many people mentioned this same problem. I wish I had read the reviews before I made them. Needless to say I won't be using them on my table.  I will try to think of another way to use them so as not to waste. I am thinking along the lines of using them in a chocolate trifle dessert for Christmas day. I think I can warm the caramel and pulverize the shortbread and layer it with chocolate cake.  I will let you know how that works out.

I have been puttering all morning getting things ready for today's party. I have hidden all the treasure hunt items. This is one of them - a real chicken egg with a chicken inside. :)  It is in plain sight on the big tree, but it blends in with all the other bronze items on that tree, so it is not as easy to find as you might think.

Since the caramels flopped, I had to buy sweet items for the Sweet Treats table.

After putting out the candies, I lit the candles and tested my Christmas Golden Glow Slushtini...

not bad...I think it will work just fine.   As I was holding the 'tini with one hand and trying to take a picture, DH walked by. "That reminds me of a movie," he said.

"What movie?" asked I.

"One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest," he replied.

"Ha, ha."

 My feet are beginning to burn from standing on them all morning, so I took this little blog post break. They feel better now. I have a little over an hour before people begin to arrive.  So I had better get the meatballs going.

I hope you, too, are having a good Christmas Eve.

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas. I hate when you go to all the trouble and it flops! UGH! Well, I say put them out and feed them to them with a spoon~

    I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Eve and my feet are burning, too! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. They still look yummy anyway Zoey. Your Sweet Treat table looks so yummy.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is beautiful. It's too bad about the treats but you could still use them with one on top of each dessert or something too.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...