Saturday, January 17, 2009

A Cocooning Weekend

After spending most of the morning running errands, I returned home to spend the afternoon preparing a warm comfort meal.

My Mom & Dad came over early in the afternoon and we spent a few hours on this cold, snowy Saturday playing nickle/dime poker. I have played poker since I was, as they say, knee-high to a grasshopper....as I kid my parents often had friends over on the weekends to play cards. I remember standing around the table just waiting for someone to need to use the bathroom so I could play their hand while they were gone. I can still remember a lot of the games, though I have not played very often in the last 30 years.

I had dinner all set to go into the oven before they came so I did not have to interrupt the games too much with cooking chores.

I made a pizza lasagna.



I layered pepperoni, ground beef, mushrooms, onions, pizza sauce, cottage cheese, Parmesan, mozzarella cheese and a 5-blend Italian cheese. These pics are before it went into the oven.
I also took a loaf of French Bread and spread melted garlic butter and caramelized Vidalia onions over each half.

Then I put Mozzarella cheese on one side and Parmesan cheese on the other,
folded it back together, wrapped it in foil and stuck in the oven for the last half an hour.
Dessert was easy. I took a chocolate shell and filled it with peanut butter ice cream that I had rolled in crushed pecans and topped with a tiny little chocolate cookie and some Reese's sauce. Then I put a maraschino cherry in the bottom of this glass and inserted the whole little filled shell into the glass.

So we had an enjoyable afternoon, good company and a nice meal.

Then I watched the news.

Peanut butter is probably NOT the kind of ice cream I should have bought.

I hope we don't all get sick!

Tomorrow I am planning to stay home all day, bake a little, sew a little and make a pork roast with sauerkraut from a recipe that I found recently on a blog.

I hope all of you in the cold weather states are keeping warm. We are in another snow storm...about 5 inches so far and probably more tomorrow. We have not had snow like this in many years.

I am actually enjoying it.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't played poker in ages. My maternal grandmom Ruth (you probably remember seeing her old photos on my blog) taught my brothers and me. It was fun! People forget about card games.
    I haven't had lasagna for ages! I want to try a veggie one sometime. I personally love peanut butter and chocolate. : ) Yum!
    Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually in a cold weather province, but keeping warm as best I can. The snow outside just keeps on coming. And coming. It's really pretty right now. To look at. But cold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Zoey, I come back to check your blog and I see I have missed some posts! You have been very busy..had a baking spree I see. Yummy looking stuff! I have never made a pepperoni lasagna but that will change, I am planning to make one very soon.
    That dessert looks so tempting..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...