Sunday, October 16, 2005

Busy Day Today


I decided to make frosted sugar cookies (DH's favorite cookie). I don't make them very often because they are waaaaaaaayyyyy too much work! When I do decide to put in the extra effort, I always make a double batch and freeze them.

Today I discovered the joy of meringue powder. Does anyone ever use it? What it does is make a nice hard frosting, so you can stack the cookies and they won't stick together. In the old days people used raw egg whites; now meringue powder is used because of health issues. They seem to be setting up quite nicely.


I also cut down the last of the deck plants (dahlias and canna plant). Everything is now gone from the deck and all of the containers are stored away for the winter. It feels good to have that done.

I still have plenty of fall chores to do. TONS of stuff to cut down, but if I don't get to it, it can all wait until spring. If we continue to get nice weather then I may cut more down this week.

There really is only one thing left that I must do and that is spray all the evergreen shrubs and cherry trees with spray to keep the deer and rabbits away. I ordered some stuff off the net in June that supposedly only has to be sprayed once and lasts for six months. The problem is that the paper directions that were in the box were shredded by mice and now I don't know what it is or how to mix it. There is no name on the container itself. So I am now off to search the net to see if I can find it. I only know that it is made by Nott Products.

5 comments:

  1. Oh dear, what a shame the spray didn't keep the mice away, too. (ha,ha). The deck looks so clean, and forlorn. But I guess when it's covered in snow you don't want to be sidestepping around soggy black plants. When you say you cut down the dahlias and cannas, I assume you've now stored them in the basement? Do you use a mulcher/shredder on all the plant material you cut down and put it in the compost? I know it's a big job but makes wonderful compost.

    Those cookies looked almost too good to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alice,
    I store the dahlias and canna in an unheated space underneath the house. (We added an addition on and there is no basement under that part of the house. It is a large space and all of my garden pots, etc. get stored there).
    I just cut the stalks off and leave the tubers right in the soil in the containers and stick them under the house. I never look at them again until late May. So far it has worked great. I just lug them out in late spring and start watering and they come alive.
    I do throw all the dead plant material on the compost heap. I don't mulch or shed it, though, so it takes a long time to break down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to come over for tea and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we all know why DH got the cookies! ; )
    I mean he gave you the rose bush you guys!
    How nice!!!
    I was on a 'date' last night with my DH which was really nice. I guess it's not too bad when the kids grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dianne, I think you will learn to LOVE being an empty nester.
    Sandy, Come on over!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...