Thursday, June 20, 2013

Boneset Chocolate

When I was in HD buying my Ninebark, I saw this perennial with purplish foliage.  The tag name was 'Boneset'.


 Hmmmm....never heard of a perennial with that odd name.  The tag also  said "TALL HEIGHT" and "DEER RESISTANT".   I decided to buy it.

Once I got home, I did what any respectable gardener would do--I goggled it. 

I found out its common name is 'White Snakeroot'.  I have heard of Snakeroot.  I looked further and I saw pictures of it in bloom.  The flowers reminded me of Ninebark blooms. 

I read that it gets about 4 feet tall at maturity.  I decided to plant it here to break up all the green:


Right now it is so small you can barely see it.  If it gets 4 ft. tall, I think it will be perfect.

Do any of you have this plant?  I would love to hear what you think of it. If you have a link to  a picture in your garden, I would love to see it!

4 comments:

  1. This is also called chocolate Eupatorium, which I have growing in my garden. You can see a picture of it planted next to my cardoon in my post that I just did today. You can see a closeup of the flowers here: http://bonneylassie.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-autumn-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I enjoyed visiting your garden this morning. Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  2. Boneset is one of the best remedies when it comes to preventing the influenza, stopping influenza from taking hold when you have been exposed, reducing the severity of influenza, and, last but not least, speeding recovery from influenza.

    The plant gets its name directly from its use in treating the flu. One of the first symptoms of the flu is aching bones-hence the old fashioned name for the illness, break bone fever. People found that using this plant led to bone-setting or the end of the aches and pains associated with the flu. We are looking for something that will end the symptoms we are suffering from and boneset is likely to help you out with this aim.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...