Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Frigid Temperatures Fun

I got home from work yesterday and it was 8 degrees with a wind chill of -13 degrees.  I decided it was time to try a bubble-blowing experiment that I have been seeing on the net. 

You heat up your bubble solution to boiling and then go outside and blow bubbles. Blowing bubbles in below zero temps!! How cool is that?  The bubbles are supposed to freeze as they drift through the air.  You catch them before they hit the ground and shatter and they are gorgeous works of  frozen art.

So  I heated my soapy bubble solution in the microwave and went outside in my bathrobe and winter boots (the moment I get home from work I put my warm cozy bathrobe on).   On my first bubble-blowing attempt, I had Crocs on, but the snow entered all the holes and I had wet feet--not a good thing in below zero temps--so the boots went on for this second attempt.
I caught a bubble (not as easy to do as you might think!):
It looked just like it would on a balmy July afternoon.  Nothing froze!  I was so disappointed!

I decided to try another experiment.  I boiled two cups of water in a 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup.  I took it outside and tossed it in the air:
It is supposed to turn to snow and, I think, it did!   Finally success!  DH was standing behind me taking the pics and did not quite capture the "snow" as it moved too quickly across the left side.

Have any of you tried either of these?  I had a blast...most fun I have had outside since my garden frosted over!

8 comments:

  1. That's so funny, Zoey! Glad you tried it so I don't have to. Yeah, I've done that with the Crocs, just once, never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every year I say "never again" with the Crocs in the snow and every year I do it again! :)

      Delete
  2. hey girlfriend, good to see the kid in your is alive and well. I had another blogger friend who tried the bubbles. But she didn't say if she heated them up or not.
    Have you tried the balloons? You add food coloring and fill the balloon with water, set outside until frozen solid. Remove balloon and you have beautiful colored ice balls.
    It's been too cold for my wimpy body to go outside, Ha Ha. Extremely cold for Mid-Missouri. Wind chills -20 to -30.

    I laughed out loud on your crocs! Wet feet and all.

    Take care and keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute are your snow ladies in your header photo? I just saw a video of a guy who put boiling water in a super soaker and took it out in - 40 and the water instantly turned to steam. I'd definitely try out the colored ice balls and maybe make some ice lanterns that you can stick a candle in. It is too warm here so I never get to try these things out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you are having lots of fun in the snow. Not only with your experiments but building snow ladies too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried and posted about it...no freezing here...as cold as it was outside.I love the balloon idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like fun, Zoey, we have to find ways to entertain ourselves in this frigid weather, don't we? :) Cute header!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...