Sunday, November 13, 2011

Burlap Lamp Shade Remake - part 2

 (see yesterday's post for part 1)
I was happy to see that the shade dried completely overnight and looks good.
I am always amazed how Mod Podge dries and never looks blotchy. 

No, I am not leaving it like that.  The finishing details is where the fun begins.  I made a long piece of ruffled burlap (just like I made for the Ace shopping bag redo, but much longer).  Then I used hot glue to attach it across the bottom.
Of course, I won't leave that raw edge exposed.

Luckily I had just enough of the black wooden beads left from the animal handbag I made last month.
I just hot glued them on. I was very careful not to use too much hot glue because I didn't want a messy trim with hot glue gobs dried on the front side. I  bought those beads a few years ago with a lamp shade redo in mind. Yeah, it took awhile for me to get started. :)

I could not find anything new to use on the top edge, so I just reglued the original black trim back on.
I finished both lamps early this morning, but that was just the beginning. 

 I decided  the table needed to be covered in something complementary.  I spent until noon redoing things.

 When that was done, I felt I needed to add some burlap to the curtains. I ended up taking down the blue curtains and replacing them with an old set of tab-topped rusty maroon curtains. I cut them apart and added a 10-inch block of burlap near the top.

This is where I am at now. I have a major problem because I can't find the second set of rusty maroon curtains! I have searched two floors and they are nowhere to be found.  I am too pooped to do much more today. It's nearly 1:00 p.m. and I still have to get some major cleaning done.  

So one window will remain curtainless for a while. We always remove the curtains from that window anyway during the Christmas season as the tree goes in front of it.  Hopefully I will find the curtains before I take the tree down!

12 comments:

  1. Your lamps look great Zoey. You did good!
    Don't work too hard this afternoon.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Zoey. You definetly are very creative and they are always unique and one of a kind which I just love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- When I saw that yesterday I thought UH OH! Looks GREAT -It's amazing how beautifully it dried and turned out. I love the black bead trim, too. Nice job and I hope you find your curtains! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turned out very nice, Zoey! But be careful--one project leads to another and another.......soon you'll have to replace everything!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and you say that I do a lot ... your energy level totally eclipses mine! Good thing we aren't neighbors - we'd have each other hyped up all of the time!!!
    Love the burlap and the lampshade is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is one gorgeous lampshade, Zoey..I never had a doubt that it wouldn't be:)And that trim is just perfect and I really like the ruffled look. Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such good tricks up your sleeve every time. You amaze me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where do you get your energy?? Looks great, Zoey! All the decorating and then you clean your house!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful makeover Zoey. I love the burlap shades. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zoey, you never fail to amaze me. I really like the burlap makeover, you have such clever ideas! I'm in the middle of making a lampshade myself right now but well, the time factor with all the little pieces of glass is huge. This is much more fun! I always wondered how Mod Podge works, looks like a great product.

    Must be something with curtains, I bought some new ones from Family Dollar this weekend and put them up, but they needed tie-backs and we took the hardware down years ago. Do you think I can find those silly things anywhere? Right now I have the curtains thumbtacked to the wall. Good grief.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Zoey, it turned out beautifully! It's so funny how Mod Podge works, isn't it, it looks horrible at first but then once it's dry, it's gorgeous. I love the trimmings you put on it as well. Well done my friend:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...