Saturday, July 30, 2011

We sat out on the new porch early Friday evening (after the HOT sun went down).

Within minutes some neighbors walked by with their dog (named Zoe, though a male) and then came up to the porch to check it out and chat.  We learned there has been a mangy-looking fox hanging out right across the road for the  past three nights. We had no idea, but we will be on the lookout now.

We live on a dead end road, yet four cars went by and waved.  It felt like what I imagine the 1950's to be when most socializing was done on front porches. I have read that front porches are making a big comeback and I can see why. I wish we had made a bigger porch so I could have a large table with a crisp white cloth and some homemade lemonade to offer neighbors who stop by on their nightly walks. I would even have a small basket of doggie treats for Zoe.

The neighbors left and came back minutes later with cucumbers from their garden. I have been craving a garden cuke and these did not disappoint.  The same neighbor promised to come back with tomatoes as soon as they ripen.  DH said that porch is already paying off--LOL!

People never walk down the driveway to visit when we are sitting on the deck, which goes partway across the back and side of the house (plenty of room for the whole neighborhood).  They can see us sitting there from the road, but it's just not the same as a front porch. Although this morning, as we were moving stuff around on the deck, one of DH's co-workers drove by and yelled out, "Looking good Jimmy!" as DH moved a turquoisey-blue accent door to a new area.

By the way the pic of DH sitting on the porch was really taken to show you another new dahlia about to bloom.  It's supposed to start out black and slowly turn to red.  Should be interesting. The bud does look pretty black.  I will show it to you as it happens.

DH and I spent all morning washing the windows -- every window in the house and garage.  My job was to use bleach water and a toothbrush to clean all the tracks on the older windows in the family room and kitchen.
Looking pretty clean, don't you think?  After that was done, I began to rearrange the deck furniture and plants.  I also did some painting because I needed a second picture frame painted green.  Since I had all the painting stuff out, I found a few more items to paint.

I will show what I used them for in another post.

By the time I finished it was early afternoon and getting hot. I was red-faced when I finally came in to shower.  After a cool shower,  I went and sat on the glider on the deck and read a few magazines trying to cool down.

This afternoon I also freezer-bagged 5 lbs. of blueberries for making yummies this winter.  Before doing so I  decided they would make a great photo OP for my latest quilt block.
It's been weeks since I have done any sewing. This is an easy 12-inch block that I made yesterday after work. I plan to make a couple more for a table runner.  The blueberries just seem to go with this block.

As I was out there taking pics, Messy Neighbor From Previous Post, was hooking up his trailer to his truck. I said, "Good morning, Messy Neighbor (I used his real name!)" and we chatted for quite some time.  He asked what I was doing and I said taking pics of blueberries. Then he asked what I do with all the pics I take and I said I put them on the Internet.  He is such a nice guy. I felt bad mentioning his tendency to store junk (actually expensive toys, except for the rusty burn barrel) right next to my deck. I hope he never finds my blog!

So that's been my Saturday so far.  I expect to have dinner in a few hours and then read a bit before calling it a day.  I have chicken in some new marinade DH bought and all the salad fixin's cute up ready to go.

So far it's been a good weekend.

update: 8:49 pm
dinner was delicious--just a salad and chicken thighs.

DH found a new beverage. It was good, too.
We even ate outside- - something we rarely do--and not a single bug bothered us.

8 comments:

  1. I think front porches are just so welcoming. Sitting on a deck, in back tells me the owners want privacy.
    Sounds like you had a nice "putter-y" day--my favorite way to spend the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you will get all your sewing done in the winter time!
    I am glad you got some cukes! I wish I could send you tomatoes, I got a ton!
    We could trade, window washing for 'maters!?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi- I just found you- and I am only ONE state away!;.) LOL- I actually live in Wisconsin and probably am a bit North of you.

    I love your gardens-they are absolutely amazing. I haven't gardened at all this year. I need to move some beds around and I have been so busy (I am still working) that when I get home I am too beat to even attempt the big job I know it is going to be.

    I read down a bit and see that you quilt. I used to quilt quite a bit but have given most of the away over the years. I do love quilts though..especially ones that are made with love for the art of quilting.

    I am glad to have found you-and am signed up as your newest follower. I blog also- mostly about grandkids and crazy things- lol I'll be back! Hugs-Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to sit out front in the mornings when it's still quiet in the hood. I'm telling you Zoey we like the same decorating and gardens.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  5. that porch really is paying off...love the berries photos...enjoy the rest of your weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do like a front porch and that's something we could do in front of our living room, but it's less private then what you have (by 99%!!). Glad you had a nice Saturday. I was a bit under the weather, so stayed in and framed up some collages I want to sell on etsy. I did make a delicious frittata with zucchini, onion, tomatoes, feta and basil. May have cost $2 to make as most of the above came from our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Zoey. You are a busy lady. How do you find the time to keep up with your garden and every thing else you do?
    I love the green color you painted the frame. What is the name of it?
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  8. That porch sounds so inviting. I had to look 3 times before I saw DH sitting there, I was so amazed with the flower.
    Dinner looks great. It's been too hot to BBQ here.
    Have a great Sunday!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...