Saturday, April 11, 2009

April 11 First Day of Spring Clean Up 2009

The first thing I had to do was find something to wear outside so I went to my extra bedroom closet and saw something red that I thought would work. I pulled it over my head and look what I found--the tags were still on it! I don't know when I bought it, but I have never worn it. I love to get new clothes from my own closets.

Once I got outside I found just what I did NOT want to see. The deer have already been munching on my emerging tulips.
So my first task was to fill the big heavy sprayer and walk the gardens to spray all the tulips with a deer repellent. I hope it works. I really want to see the new tulips I planted last fall.



It's only in the 40's outside, but it felt good to be out and about for the first time. I walked around and picked up all the big fallen branches.




I only did 2 loads today. The rest can wait. I noticed the poppies that I planted last fall are coming up. I wonder if they will bloom this year....I hope so!



I also noticed that the foxgloves Jean sent me last fall survived the winter. I think I will get some blooms this year. What do you think, Jean?

There was one other task I needed to complete today--plant those callas I bought a few weeks ago. As you can see, we still have a few snow banks left.
I don't know if the callas will bloom this year, but it won't matter because I have under planted them with orange dahlias and some of those tall yellow daisy-like dahlias in the center.
The three white calla lilies are on the top layer. This should be a very full planter.
It's way too cold to leave this outside. I didn't even water it because I don't want to encourage growth for a couple more weeks. I won't be able to put it out on the deck until the end of May. For now it will sit right here in the garage near a window. I will begin watering it when I see growth.

So that's what I did on my first garden outing in '09. I have TONS of work to do, but there is no rush. I will take it easy and do a bit each evening if it's warm next week. Just look at all of these pine cones in two different areas of the front yard.

What a mess!

4 comments:

  1. We also had our first stint in the garden yesterday. The weather is still pretty cool here, as it sounds like in your neck of the woods, but thankfully, all our snow is gone!

    It looks like you got a good start on things. I love all your container gardens and you inspire me to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good start to gardening Zoey! My garden is still covered with snow. But I am dreaming of what I want to grow this year..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you got to do some gardening and are taking it a bit at a time. I still am cleaning out beds, but the rain and cold are kept me inside lately. Good luck!
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Even though this means a bunch of hard work, I'm sure you are SO excited! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...