Friday, May 16, 2008

It's Never Been my Favorite Flower, But I am Liking it This Year

Bergenia


This plant is very hardy and likes a little shade. It is grown from rhizomes and has leathery leaves. The leaves are evergreen and by spring they can look pretty tattered. In past years the flower has been hidden in the leaves. This year there are three nicely visible pink flowers and I like it against this boulder.
This pic shows the big round leaves. Earlier in the season I removed a couple of the really tattered leaves.

I almost got rid of it a few years ago. I've had it in three or four different places and it's never done much. I think I may have finally found a spot it likes.

Here is another bergenia.

I may have to remove bergenia from my list of plants I don't really like. I am finding it quite interesting this year.

When I got home from work at 3:30 p.m. it was raining a little. About 5:00 p.m. I noticed the rain had stopped so I bundled up and went outside. I was shocked that it was really warm out there--too warm for the long sleeves I had on. I decided I'd spend 30 minutes removing grass from the phlox. Once I got to working, I spent over an hour. It was quite pleasant (except for the bugs that are coming out already).

I am hoping to spend a few more hours weeding this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. I like the Bergenia too! Is that the common name? I don't think I've seen it in person, but it's really unusual.We had rain today, so I tidied up a few areas and watched a movie.
    Have a great weekend. Sean and I are going to try and get to a hospital fair before noon. I look for stuff for eBay and my crafts. If you wait too long, all the good stuff is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you have blooms Zoey! I like the Bergenia but haven't tried it yet. It does look pretty against that rock. Your tulips are looking lovely. Isn't it wonderful to see some color?
    The cold weather has been hard to take after that warm stretch we had in April. Perhaps that's what's keeping your enthusiasm for the container planting at low levels. I hope it comes back soon!
    The rain we're having today should make the plants a bit happier. Poor things have been very thirsty with the weeks of dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My bergenia was beautiful this year too. Mine usually blooms too soon and gets hit by frost. Looks like everything is doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zoey,
    I'm not familiar with this one, but it's really a lovely color. You've got rain, we've got heat (although it's "only" 88º at 11am) That's quite a bit cooler than the last several days..
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last year, I moved my bergenia to the rock garden. I hope mine will bloom as lovely as yours. If not, I'll just try moving it again til I find a great spot for it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...