Sunday, November 11, 2007

Sunday Morning Inspiration

What do you think of this paisley fabric

with this blue leopard fabric?

You are probably thinking that nobody in their right mind would put these fabrics together, aren't you?

While playing around this morning, I decided to make a test block with the paisley fabric.


Although I really like the paisley fabric, I think the block falls a bit flat. There is nothing terribly wrong with it, but I just think it needs a little zip, a bit of zest, ....

The block needs some bling!


Now, that's more like what I had in mind, although the center leaves a bit to be desired. That stripe was not a good choice.I should have taken more time to make sure my seam did not cut across to make it look crooked.

I thought the fabric combo had promise, so I continued on with a different center and different star points.

Bingo! I am loving this one! In my world blue leopard does go with traditional paisley.



Here are the two blocks together.
I a liking it. I can see me making a whole bunch of different stars in this color combo. I think it would make a good "man" quilt.

Geez, I had planned to clean up my ironing board this morning. It's full of the fabric scraps I've been working on all week. I need to use it to iron clothes (what a concept!).

Until I took a break to make this blog post, I was working on sorting my little scraps into piles of the same fabric so I can more easily find what I need.

Isn't it amazing how many pieces of fabric a shoe box will hold? LOL. I must get back to work.

3:00 p.m. update:
I went to Walmart and right after the above post. While there I saw a plastic rolling cart with drawers. I decided to buy it and put my scraps in the drawers.
It works great. I used see thru platic bags to hold the different fabrics.
After about an hour of sorting, I had it filled. I think I will get one more later this week.

It does feel good to have a little bit of organization in this room. Now I have to go iron the clothes that inspired the whole project.

10 comments:

  1. I never would have guessed that I would like the blue leopard on anything but it looks great ! Love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean, thank you for sharing your feeling about it. It's nice to know that someone else thinks it looks OK. I sometimes wonder if I have a very warped sense of color combos, but nobody will say so.
    Except for you guys, very few people ever actually see my quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am liking it too!! lol Wow, what a difference it makes when you put that blue leopard print the way you did, it does indeed make the paisley print all come together so nicely with it. Great idea to put all your scraps into that plastic rolling cart!! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw those 2 colors I'm thinking "I don't think they will go together" but then in usual Zoey style she puts it together and it looks fantastic..I won't doubt you again!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing how well these fabrics combined once you got started. Clever girl Zoey :) I wouldn't have picked them to go together at all.
    That's a great storage unit to keep your fabric scraps tidy. I got a couple of similar units from my daughter and SIL when they had a 'moving' garage sale. I have yet to fill them up. I'm still emptying containers (of flowers)!!
    It was a sunny day here after a very cold morning, with some snow showers early. And to think, the cold has just begun! Yuk.
    Love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love blues and browns together...and interesting patterns-great work there.
    I also love to be organized and have a few of these bins stuck down my basement with craft stuff in them. One of these days I'll figure out where to set up my craft room.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your ability to put things together. It looks like something I might enter some infinite, indecisive loop over, and never get anything made because I couldn't decide what I liked, i.e., too many choices! Good idea with the rolling bin storage!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zoey~ you have such a good eye!
    When I saw those two fabics, I thought ewwweee. But I was so wrong! Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how they go together, although at first glance I thought "no way"
    Those rolling storage carts can come in handy, but they are somewhat addictive!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the star block with the blue - it totally added some pizazz to the block. It's really fun to walk through the thought process with you. That cart is perfect for your fabric. We have several - Susie's right, they are addictive! Mark has two full of camera accessories. I have two in my office. And I can think of uses for several more!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...