Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Preparing for Thanksgiving

I bet a lot of you are busily preparing for a big Thanksgiving meal.

We are going to my MIL's and I am only making a dish or two.

Tonight I decided to boil my sweet potatoes for my side dish. I happen to love sweet potatoes and Thanksgiving just wouldn't be the same without them. I want the fresh ones--not canned. After all it is Thanksgiving. Would it hurt us to labor just a bit more over our meal as the pilgrims surely did in 1691?

As you may notice, I don't put in all that much extra labor. Since sweet potatoes are a pain to peel, I boil them first. When they cool, the skin will come right off. Have you ever seen a more beautiful intensely-colored veggie?

I don't do the marshmallow topping. I like a brown sugar, butter and pecan topping. Today I was reading recipes on line and found one that uses Rice Krispies mixed with the ingredients above. I think I am going to try that. Has anyone heard of such a topping?

I am also planning to make a pumpkin roll. Judging by my search counter, pumpkin rolls will be a pretty popular dessert this Thursday. Last year I posted pictures of how I roll them and it seems a lot of people are wondering how and searching for "pictures of rolling pumpkin rolls". I will have to go read my own post since I haven't made one since and can't remember exactly what I did.

How did I ever survive without this blog? LOL.

7 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving Zoey!
    I'm just getting ready to cook my sweet potatoes too. I usually just cook them in the microwave and they peel quite easily. Sweet potato casserole is on our must have list..
    Hope it's a wonderful celebration for you and yours.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet potatoes prepared any way sound good but hadn't heard of Rice Krispie topping...worth a try!
    Pumpkin roll dessert?..sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a recipe for yams that sounds similar, I am skeptical of the Rice Krispie topping, keep the nuts, I say!

    I tagged you for a meme, come by my blog when you get a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom and I like sweet potatoes and I just bought a can of them tonight as the 3 men at the table make a face when I pass them around. I use butter and brown sugar and some topping-yes marshmallows if I have them. ; )
    I am not feeling too great to make dinner this year (you know why), but I have to. It's a tradition. I will toss the bird in an oven bag, cut up potatoes (we'll use a ricer) and do a few sides. I bought pies. It will be fine. Plus I am going to my 30th reunion the next evening. Talk about busy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to roast my sweet potatoes this year - cut them into cubes, leave the peel on, sprinkle with olive oil and roast in the oven while the turkey is resting. About 5 minutes before they are done, I'll sprinkle with chopped, fresh rosemary and season with seasoned salt as soon as they come out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom's not coming out now as she's getting a cold. Hmmm...I'll be eating the entire dish alone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have your cornbread dressing ready?
    I hope y'all have a Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...