Thursday, November 8, 2007

Incarceration Never Looked so Good--Got an extra $5 GRAND?

Yes, it's $5,500 per night for the presidential suite.

Of course, if you are on a strict budget, $319 will get you the no frills room.


Being in the hospitality industry, I found this prison converted to a luxury hotel news item to be pretty interesting.





It's called The Liberty and it used to be the Charles Street jail in Boston. Charles Street Jail into a five star luxury hotel. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia)


This excerpt was taken from an aritcle By DENISE LAVOIE, Associated Press Writer :

Architects took pains to preserve many features of the 156-year-old stone building and its history.
The old sally port, where guards once brought prisoners from paddy wagons to their cells, is being converted into the entrance to a new restaurant, Scampo, which is Italian for "escape."
In another restaurant, named Clink, diners can look through original bars from cell doors and windows as they order smoked lobster bisque or citrus poached prawns from waiters and waitresses wearing shirts with prison numbers. The hotel bar, Alibi, is built in the jail's former drunk tank.


What an interesting concept!

8 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting, love the restaurant names!
    We stayed at a B&B that used to be a prison..that too was an interesting place to stay and a lot cheaper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to add...I love that wintery scene on your banner...I feel like getting cozy by the fireplace now! Maybe bake some sugar cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty cool! I'd like to see it someday. The Eastern penitentiary here is mainly used for Halloween and ghostbusters and left old and ugly. A guy from the Rachael Ray show went on the Halloween tour and they do such a good job he was scared almost to death!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah-look at that new topper-pretty! 6 months-I was thinking 4 or 5, but we are in different zones.
    And that should be the Eastern STATE
    penitentiary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betty and Dianne,
    Thanks for the compliments on the new header. There was snow on the ground this morning, so I thought it was the appropriate time to get rid of my fall color.

    Definately six months for me, Di. Mid to late May is the earliest I can plant anything.

    Betty, what an interesting experience to have actually stayed at a prison B & B!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your new banner, Zoey. I don't think I would want to stay in that hotel, bad karma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wish Missouri officials would have seen this. Our old one is in the process of being torn down. http://www.missourinet.com/gestalt/go.cfm?objectid=D7A8FF45-9718-588E-F24E99B8A64C4BE5

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new banner looks great. Very wintery!! Love the names of the restaurants, but I'm not sure about paying that price for a room, even for the "experience"
    Cute post!
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...