Saturday, June 16, 2012

Royal Purple Smokebushes moved

Yes, it is absolutely the wrong time to move them, but that never stops me.  Once I get an idea in my head, I just do it.

I had a pretty good-sized smokebush growing in the rockwall garden. Given the fact that it has been in the ground, (in the same spot!) for six years, it should be a lot taller.  Lucky for me, it isn't so maybe it will survive the move.

Here it is at 7:15 a.m. all replanted in the bare spot I showed you yesterday. 
Fills it right up nicely, don't you agree?  I think the foliage contrast looks great. The shrub should not grow bigger than 15 feet. At the rate it's been growing, that will takes years.  Here it is looking from the back side toward the big arbor.
I love it.  I love it so much, that I moved a second one that is the same age, but only about 1/4 the size.

 It was growing in the woodland area and did not get much sun.

Now it lives here:



Directly opposite the other one.
 I just hope they don't die from the move!  I usually have very good luck moving plants at the wrong time.  I dig a big hole and I fill it with water. Once all the water is gone, I move the plant in, then water it again.  I have found that if given enough water, they usually survive.

As often happens when I start digging, I can't quit.  I started another big project.
I am removing everything from this very shaded woodland garden and turning it into a hosta garden.

I will probably replant with only hostas.

  I would like to get this all dug out today, so my breaktime is over-- I have a ton of work to do.

5 comments:

  1. Zoey it looks gorgeous there, in fact so does the other one where it is. I've moved stuff this time of year. I just make sure I water almost every day, or every day in this heat. :) Nice going.

    Oh the Hosta. Exactly what I would do in your woodland garden. Love, love, love mine. One of the perennials that I will NOT be getting rid of. There are such cool varieties out there now to choose from. Can't wait to see how it all looks for you.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh, Zoey- Your gardens are so amazing! They are really magazine worthy. I love all the things you have done at your home. JUST beautiful! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. The dark color looks great with the shades of green. I really like the addition of dark colors in the garden. That is a good idea about filling the hole with water first. I hope you are not as hot as we are or you won't be working outside very long.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do the deer leave your hostas alone? It seems that after they nip the rosebuds, they move on to a salad of nice hosta....Your garden always inspires me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do the deer leave your hostas alone? It seems that after they nip the rosebuds, they move on to a salad of nice hosta....Your garden always inspires me.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...