Friday, March 23, 2012

A Bevy of Botanical Beauties

I ordered a few more bulbs.  I have always admired toad lilies, but have never tried growing them. So I ordered six of these assorted colors:

I ordered five more that are all white with purple specks:
From what I understand these will not bloom until late September.  I think the flower is rather small, so I will have to remember to plant them in the front of a shady path, where I will see them every time I walk by.   Do you any of you grow them?  Any tips? I am probably going to plant them near hostas.  I read they were deer resistant, yet on another site, someone posted that they are a tasty snack for deer. 
Do deer eat them in your garden? 

I also picked up 3 Flore Pleno lilies.
The orange and chocolate-spotted lily is double-flowered with no stamens. I like that because it means no pollen falling all over my tablecloths, should I decide to make an indoor bouquet. This lily has an incredible amount of petals (up to thirty-six ) which poke straight out when they open and gradually fold back into the familiar Tiger lily turks cap shape.

So this little order combined with the lilies I ordered two days ago, should give me plenty of  new flowers to look forward to this year. 

The exceptionally warm weather has brought my crocus to flower much earlier than usual.
They are nothing special, but they are my official first bloom of 2012.

The weather has cooled down (54 right now) and there is some rain predicted for the weekend.  I am hoping to dodge the rain pellets to get a lot of garden cleaning done.  Even if I even just get the couple hundred Sedum Autumn Joy plants cut down before Monday, I will be happy.

I have plenty of indoor projects to work on, too. I am making something (have not decided what it will be yet) from the metallic fabric I picked up for a song at a bazaar last fall.
All in all I am hoping for a productive weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Last year was the first year I grew Toad lilies. I loved the little flowers but I was surprised they were so little. As it worked out I had planted them along the front of the border so it worked out fine. Mine are close to the front sidewalk so I cannot help you with if the deer eat them. Those lilies are going to be so pretty Zoey with their double blooms. Have a wonderful weekend in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those lilies...and I have quite a few of them. They are easy-peasy!

    A girlfriend and I used a bunch of those metallic fabrics that we picked up for a song a couple of years ago. One thing we made was a small drawstring bag (with a round bottom)-lined with a plain fabric. We sewed some little pockets into the plain fabric and the bags became small jewelry cases for throwing in a suitcase. I wish I could get a picture of them to you- they were just darling. We used a large plate as our circle measurement to start with.

    AND we made some table toppers to dress up a round table-squares that we used to lay over a round tablecloth. Have fun! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them Zoey. I was actually going to get some when I decided to change over to more shrubs and I now refuse to even look at perennials so I won't be tempted. It's hard though as they really are lovely.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...