Sunday, May 29, 2011

Cordyline Container Recipe

I finally found out how I can reply to comments during this Blogger meltdown...after I hit post comment three times, then I get my sign in/password box. If I DO NOT check the box to keep signed in, it seems to work. Someone on Deb's blog commented about that little trick and it works for me! A big thank you to Deb's commenter!



I decided to use the Cordyline plant as the "thriller" in this container.  (My original thought was to use it as a filler with some Tropicana's, but it's too big), so it will be the star.

Here is the recipe:

1 large Cordyline - $7.99--the Thriller
1 Proven Winners Colorblaze 'Sedona' - $5.00 -- filler
3 purple kale - roughly .40 each - $1.20 total - spillers - unconventional, I know
1 Purple Heart - $1.88 - spiller
1 Gerbera Daisy (will have orange/red flowers) - free from one of my clients at work - roughly $5 to buy - filler
2 Feathery Coleus - $1.88 each - total $3.76 - fillers
3 blue Salvia - .40 each - total of $1.20

Here is some Kale and one of the feathery coleus:
 The purple plant in the front is the 'Purple Heart'. I am hoping this and the kale will grow slightly over the side to act as  spillers.  I did not want something that would cover the entire container...just something with a little spill effect.  We shall see if this works....

I added a few blue Salvia near the  orangey/purpley coleus 'Sedona'
I put my gifted Gerbera daisy right in the front, which completed this container:
 
I am excited about this one. Don't I always say that?  LOL.  But I do love the color of the container, it's embossed ferns (which is why I don't want spillers covering it), and the subdued colors of the plants.  I am thinking this guy may be the one I choose to sit on my new front porch.  Although, tomorrow's container recipe is another one I am all giddy over!   As I said, I love them all! :)

3 comments:

  1. Nice combo of plants-I love them all. I saw the coleus yesterday-it's a Kiwi Fern.
    Is this the grass you just got-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/diadsie/5772035330/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to know the name of that cute coleus! I just googled it and found out it grows just 1 foot tall and 1 foot wide. That is perfect for my containers!

    I can't get to the Flicker picture. I guess because I don't have an account???

    Thanks so much for the coleus info. You are so knowledgeable!

    I finally found out how I can reply to comments during this Blogger meltdown...ater I hit post comment three times, then I get my sign in/password box. If I DO NOT check the box to keep signed in, it seems to work. Someone on Deb's blog commented about that little trick and it works for me! A big thank you to Deb's commenter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had any problems leaving comments, just having problems finding time to leave comments! lol Actually, I know that a lot of bloggers have been having a hard time, ever since Blogger went down a week or so ago. Steve use to be able to comment on my blog but now it won't let him. Sigh. As you say, hopefully they'll get everything fixed soon.

    I just LOVE that container, the purples and that bit of orange is stunning!! I need you over here to do some of my containers! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...