Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Blooming Tuesday -- Fall Asters


I have been removing fall asters for the past two years and have just a couple areas of them left in this garden.

Some are over 6 feet tall and some are only half that because I pruned the front ones back in June. I like flowers to start from 3 ft and continue up to 6ft instead of lanky dead stems at the bottom with flowers so high up I can't see them. Aster foliage is unsightly for the first two or three feet so it needs to be hidden.

I have more in the garden directly across.
Some are the same pink color and some are purple



Here is one of the purple flowers way up in front of the garden that escaped my removal efforts.

I noticed it earlier in the season and cut it way back so it's blooming quite short.

These late blooming, daisy-like flowers attract tons of bees, butterflies and moths. I don't want them taking over, but I would not want be totally without some in my fall garden.

This will probably be my last Blooming Tuesday post because I have nothing left to bloom!

Sad on one hand, liberating on the other. The contractor will probably be finished today so I need to get out of the garden and start getting the house back in shape.

Now don't forget to head on over to Jean's Blooming Tuesday to see what everybody else has in bloom. I am on my way over there right now. For some reason I woke up at 2:00 AM and can't get back to sleep, so I finally decided to just get up and do this post. It's so wonderful to be able to go garden-hopping at 3:45 AM!

12 comments:

  1. Very nice, I love the depth of the first photo. It is nice to tour gardens even when they are not open isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tons of Celosia seeds if you would like some.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your asters are lovely and the photo with the canna terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blogging at 2:00 AM, been there done that!
    It kinda makes you sad to see the blooming season come to an end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again, another plant I haven't grown here in my jungle, but I can see I need to. Wow, six feet tall! I love the way you have the plants arranged, everything looks so natural and flows so well. I don't know when the first frost will hit here, either...right now my annuals are still going strong and I hate to see them done in. Yet, as you said, it's liberating to clean up the garden and be done with it, too. I especially don't like working in cold, wet weather for fall cleanup.

    And, yes, I spend many a sleepless night looking at blogs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww Zoey..up that early?? I would just turn over and try to sleep:)
    Love asters..give me asters and zinnias and I'm happy! Those two flowers remind me of my mother's garden.
    With all the work you have been doing in your gardens this summer I would say it will be liberating for it to come to an end..and the dreaming begins for next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love asters when they bloom, but you are right, they aren't much to look at the other 50 weeks of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I need to get me some of those asters. They add so much color to the garden at this time of year. Lovely photos. Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Zoey. I love Aster blooms but get so aggravated at mine which seem to always lie down no matter what. Yours sure do get tall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Asters are truly the flower of fall! I love the color of it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Asters are beautiful and I never knew that they could grow up to 6 feet! Wow! My Hydrangeas are still in bloom although changing to a brownish colour and my Autumn Joy Sedum is also in bloom...that's about it. I still have petunias in my planters which surprises me since we've had frost on a few mornings and I haven't covered them up. Hardy little things! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. zoey...beautiful...I love your gardens...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...