Monday, April 16, 2007

The Deer Have Found the Tulips

First, I appreciate all of the nice things you said about my quilt. Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment.

It's always a thrill to complete a top, but I also feel sort of lost with no project to work on.

Sunday afternoon I took a short walk around to check out the tulips. I found this:


Little stubs with deer tracks near by.


I'm not surprised. They eat them every year. I did run right out and spray what's left with Hinder. At the moment there are still quite a few they have not eaten. We will see if any make it to bloom.


After I tidied up the kitchen tonight, I was struck with an idea for a new project. I still have a lot of fabric out and I thought I would use this "Ella's Rooster" plate as inspiration for a table runner. I pulled out a few pieces of fabric that I thought would match. Then I looked in my new book for one of those 4-inch chicken patterns. I tried to find fabric that somewhat resembled the rooster on the plate and made a block.
Then I rummaged around for some 4-inch star points and combined two blocks to make this star:



I still have to embroider the little legs. I think it has possibilities. The green did not show up as much as I would have liked, but I think if I use a green tablecloth and put the runner down the middle, it will show up more. I don't know just where it's going from this point on. I will probably make a solid center block and then a rooster to face the opposite direction. I will just putter around after work each night and see where it takes me.

4 comments:

  1. cool - what a creative woman you are!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice of you to set a tulip buffet for the deer! Perhaps you can make them a table runner as well - a block with a hunter comes to mind! "-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear...I said dear, not deer! lol I remember staying at this B&B one time and seeing the deer wander into the yard and eat all the woman's flowers. I think that table runner you are working on will look beautiful..you always come up with such great ideas:-) xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the rooster! How very talented you are!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...