Thursday, March 15, 2007

This was NOT my finest baking hour

It's been a long time since I've made cupcakes from scratch. Last night I found a recipe on the net and decided to whip up a batch of chocolate cupcakes with chocolate buttercream frosting (also from scratch).

It all started fine. The batter went together fast and looked soft and beautiful. I threw in some chocolate caramel chips.

Mmmmm.....Looking good. I can hardly wait to taste them.
I was supposed to cook them 15 to 20 minutes. After 15 minutes, I peeked inside....and I saw trouble........
I had overfilled them. A couple had dripped right on to the oven floor. They were not done yet. With a big sigh and deflated enthusiasm, I cooked them another five minutes.

They were a mess. They stuck to the pan on all edges. I tried with little success to run a sharp knife around and pop them out. They broke and cracked and many of the tops pulled off completely.

At least half of them ended up in the garbage.

I took kitchen scissors and cut around the other dozen to even up the edges a bit. I slopped on a little frosting, cleaned up my mess and called it a night.

DH seems to like them as I found 6 gone when I got home from work today. As long as he enjoys them, that's all that really counts........
I will have to try them tonight and see how they taste.

4 comments:

  1. Bummer-I hate when that happens especially when you are excited about a recipe. Mom watched Martha Stewart today and wanted to make the chicken and dumplings her guest had presented. Mom even went to the store to get some of the ingredients-I was glad as she was so unwell yesterday. She called me earlier as she had misplaced the dumpling part of the recipe. I got online and read it off to her. I'll have to let you know if it was a success.
    BTW-burnt the steak on the indoor grill tonight- :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. They couldn't have been too terrible if he ate 6!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anything chocolate is never wasted. They look yummy! Next time you have a chocolate disaster, just crumble them up and mix with a bit of softened vanilla ice cream. Put the whole thing into a bundt pan and freeze. When you need a quick dessert for company, they will think you quite clever when you serve them this "disaster"! "-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caramel and chocolate chips...yum! I'll bet they still tasted good. They're not a failure as long as DH likes them.
    I like Giddy's suggestion.
    We've had snow now for 3 days, not a huge amount, but snow nevertheless. Hurry up spring!
    How is it there?
    I'm glad I don't have to wear hats, but that's rather a pretty one. Nice modeling job :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...