Sunday, May 27, 2012

Iris Begin to Bloom

We got home today and found that it was raining. We were so happy!  It was  a light gentle rain. From my bedroom window, I noticed some yellow iris in bloom. I decided I needed a pic, so I dodged raindrops to get some pictures of the three different iris' that opened since I left Friday.

This is an old pinky-purple with a yellow beard.  I have no idea what the name is, but I like it.

 You can see that I also have a lot of chives and purple spring phlox in bloom.

I am trying to get the spring phlox to bloom in only the wild garden areas.  I pull most of it out in the more tame gardens. That stuff will take over very quickly if left to seed.



I have tons of this common purple iris, but only these few have opened.
 I was thrilled to see these yellow iris.  I knew I used to have some yellow, but they have not bloomed for the past few years, so I thought I lost them.

I hope it continues to rain for a few days as we really need it.  With a little rain, new flowers will be blooming every few days.  We both have to work tomorrow, so while rain will put a damper on the local Memorial Day festivities, it won't really bother us at all.  I guess that's the positive about having to work on holidays. We have no plans that the weather can ruin. :)  I hope if you are off tomorrow, you have better weather.

5 comments:

  1. That is so lovely Zoey. Love the Iris and the Chives. I am also envious of the rain. Had sprinklers on for 4 hours today. I am actually dreading the year now. It's just so nasty already. Glad it's better up your way.

    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful Iris, Zoey. My own are in full bloom now and I started dead-heading some of them today.

    I lost all my phlox this year- it didn't come back for some reason. Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your flowers. It is sooo dry here. We are already watering the garden. We haven't had to mow the lawn in 2 weeks it's just drying up. today was a record breaking 95 degrees. It's CraZy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chives---I love em. It's the only bright spot in the garden right now. Your iris are beautiful too, but wow , the chives!

    We got a solid inch of rain yesterday. So needed. I think if it gets nearly as warm as they are calling for, there's going to be a LOT of growth in the garden.
    Have a good week!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see your irises. Mine are almost finished blooming. The dark purple is the last-almost black and pretty neat. It seems to be a good rose year. I don't have a lot of luck with them, but besides seeing the ones at the arboretum, I've seen some gorgeous ones. I hope you had a fun mini-reunion!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...