Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Look at these Gorgeous Dahlias!

I think my latest header with the garden pics has me thinking of flowers and  inspired me to place my first flower order of 2011.  I ordered some dahlias -- two tubers of each variety--they will all be grown in containers because I can't get a dahlia to grow in my ground soil.

'Trebbiano' is the black dahlia. I ordered that one because I love the starburst dahlias and it will work so nicely for dining room bouquets as I use black dishes fairly often.

The red one is 'Santa Claus' --just love the color! .... and the multicolored is called 'Myrtle's Folly'--interesting unique color combo and the foliage looks sort of curly.

If you spend $25, you get $25, so I  also ordered these bulbs --  Camassia quamash -- which I am unfamiliar with.  I like the color and the shape of the bloom. They won't arrive until fall.
Here is the description:
Capture the beauty of Holland in your early-summer garden by adding colourful Camassia quamash to your landscape. You’ll treasure their unique spikes that burst with star-shaped blossom upon blossom of blue. Just a few of these foolproof bulbs will make a dramatic impression in your yard or in bouquets! They multiply, too, adding even more interest each year.

Zones :2-8

Bulb Size: 6+ cm

Height: 15-36"

Bloom Time: Late Spring

Deer Resistant -- this always catches my eye!

So now I need six  more big containers to plant these in.  I will probably use some of them in the main gardens, once they begin flowering.  I will just hide the container among the other tall foliage of daylilies, etc. 

Spend $25, get $25 free is a pretty good offer. I think it's available for anyone, so if you want to check it out, go to Brecks.com.  Of course, you have to pay the postage/handling. This order cost me a  bit more than $40 total, which I consider a pretty fair price in today's flower market.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, these look lovely Zoey. I'll have to live vicariously through you and your garden adventures this spring and summer as we are moving and will have no garden to speak of! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ordered some Camassia quamash from Breck's last year and planted them in the fall. I can't wait to see what they look like when they come up this spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving those Dahlias, especially the Myrtle's Folly, just gorgeous. I received the Breck's catalog last year and spent a lot of time oohing and aahing over all the flowers, some of which are so unusual in shape and colour. I've never ordered from them, though, but as you say, the "buy $25, get $25" is certainly a great deal!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the look of dahlias, but I am a loser when it comes to being successful with them. I tried to grow them last summer and they would not survive my heat.

    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops - you've reminded me of which I'd forgotten ... to dig up the dahlias, darnnit! I love that black variety, but do I deserve another chance at them? I thought of you today and wished that you could have had a snow day off too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I need to go through flower catalogs as this weather is making me blah. I like what you picked out. Any flower that is bluish I love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zoey, you do realize don't you that you are buying 'back breaking' work?? lol But oh it will be so beautiful, I esp like those 'star shaped' blue flowers. I want those!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...