Monday, July 8, 2013

Mackinac Island (part 2)

Do you see the yellow umbrellas in front of the white building way up on the hill?

That is Fort Mackinac. 

You get there by walking up this hill:

Once you get there you can explore a number of old military buildings, like this one

or you can just go the Tea Room for lunch as we did. 

I have not eaten at the Tea Room since 1973 when I went with two high school friends.  I took a picture from my scrapbook to show you.

 I am in the backless shirt.  Now that's a 1973 design! It reminds me of the wallboard my mom had in our kitchen at that time. :)
Enough reminiscing....Back to the current trip....


The Tea Room has the best views of any of the island restaurants.  We sat on the balcony above these yellow umbrellas.
 
I wanted to be as high up as possible to take in the gorgeous views.


This time I am dining with my wonderful husband.  This time I am also old enough to have an alcoholic drink with my lunch. :)


Lunch was a roasted turkey breast and Havarti cheese sandwich which was delicious (and much healthier than that huge sundae I had in 1973)




 See the church steeple way to the left at the top of this picture?
 After we finished eating, we walked back down that hill to the main street, took a left and walked at least another mile to get to the church.



 Look at this row of smoke trees along the white picket fence. Amazing specimens. This is the first time I have seen them used as a hedge.  I wonder how old they are?


While walking by one of the inns, I snapped a picture of this man carting laundry back to the inn.
I don't know how far away he has to take it to get washed.  Work life is very different on Mackinac Island.

It also appeared to be garbage pick up day on the island.

If all the garbage is as neatly put out as this, the island must have a good recycling program.


 I like how the Lilac Hotel had flowers to  match their awnings:


They were almost the exact shade of purple.


All in all we had a great time on Makinac Island. The last time we were on the island was in 2011.  I did a post at that time about the Grand Hotel, carriage ride, etc.  If you want to see that one,
 
Until next time.............
I hope I don't have to wait another 40 years to eat here again! 

10 comments:

  1. I was at the island last summer - we did the bike ride around the island and it was great. I just love it there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you got some great shots Zoey...looks like a fun place to go..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trip down memory lane, Zoey. It's been so many years since I've been there and honestly it looks the same! Thanks for a great photo tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, LostRoses. How long since you were there?

      Delete
  4. Great photos Zoey. Interesting catching the work side of the island. Can't even imagine the hassle involved in some of these things without garbage trucks and things. Every place seems to be beautiful there though.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Cher. I would not want to give up all of our modern amenities.

      Delete
  5. What a BEAUTIFUL place. I've heard about it for years but your pictures make it real.

    I do hope you took a "couple" picture of you two.

    Thanks for sharing the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No couple pics. I rarely take pictures of people...weird, isn't it?

      Delete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...