Sunday, December 2, 2007

Do You Ever Want to Hide What You are Reading?


I've been making pieced book covers. I don't have a pattern, so I've been experimenting on my own.

This one seems to work nicely.


It even has a bookmark sewn in.

I made a few other samples before I decided the above worked best.


This one had two smaller blocks sewn together.

The only problem is if I want a good snug fit, I have to custom make them for each book. The spine is always a different size, depending on the number of pages.

I guess I could make a few at half inch intervals -- 1.5", 2", 2.5" spines, etc. That way I will always have one on hand for whatever size paperback I am reading.

The nice thing about them is I get my block piecing fix and the project gets finished the same day. Unlike my big quilts which take months or even years to make their way from my sewing room to the top of my bed.

7 comments:

  1. Great idea, Zoey! Your snow ladies are hysterical!! What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmmm and what kinda books do you read that need hiding? ;)

    They look nice! Maybe you could go into a book cover business on ebay making those things. :)

    I honestly don't know how you find the time for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the book covers..you have so many neat projects going on. Wish I had some of that talent..(sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really cute! I betcha you could sell them on etsy.com (always the business lady here!)
    Remember how we use to cover our books for school with the brown paper bags, etc. Why couldn't you use the same concept but maybe the tops and bottoms can be adjustable with velcro? Velcro comes in a variety of sizes too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a brilliant idea! It certainly is a wonderful way to protect the book covers as well. Love the two designs you've shown us here! xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jean, It was such fun!

    Nickie, so nice to see you! I just hope that opened book does not enlarge enough for you to see the dirty words. Seriously, I just picked up a book to demonstrate and after I took the pic I noticed some 4-letter ones that came out clear as could be. I tried to make it small enough so you all can't see them! LOL.

    Betty, Do you sew at all?

    Dianne, maybe when I quit my 40-hour week job, I can try Etsy. I don't know about velcro. I think it may be too bulky.

    Pea, thank you. I have just told all my family memeber that we will be doing our steal-the-gift game the way you do yours. Thanks for that timely post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are velcro dots too. I just bought some for a calendar that I haven't assembled yet and they are really tiny.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to leave a comment. I will try to answer any questions you have. Please note due to Blogger changing word verification so almost nobody can read it, I have had to change to no word verification and only allow registered users to comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...